HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Mild Yet Adequate Deer Rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/102892-mild-yet-adequate-deer-rifle.html)

Blue Ridge 06-14-2005 12:12 PM

Mild Yet Adequate Deer Rifle

Hello,
I have been poking around the forum and finally decided to post a quesiton. I have been hunting with a Marlin 30-30 that I had to give back to its owner this year. I enjoyed the compactness and quick follow-up capability. Now I am looking at a new rifle that has a low amount of muzzle blast (going deaf in left ear) and mild recoil yet delivers slightly better performance than the 30-30 for sligthly longer ranges.

What would you folks suggest?

I have considered the .243 Rem. pump up through 30-06 to shoot managed recoil loads with.

Hunter06FlKy 06-14-2005 12:37 PM

RE: Mild Yet Adequate Deer Rifle

it sounds like the .243 would fill your need. the 30-06 is another option. i don't know much about the managed recoil rounds but the regualr 125's don't have all that much recoil and more than enough energy.

silentassassin 06-14-2005 12:45 PM

I would look at the 7mm-08 or the .308. The 7mm-08 seems to be an excellent choice; it has recoil light enough for young shooters and women while still having enough knock down power for quick clean kills.

Blue Ridge 06-14-2005 01:02 PM

I am very much considering the Remington 7600. It is only available in .243, .270, .30-06, and .308. I have seen many mixed comments on the .243. However, with one of the best bullets available, I am sure it would fair well for medium to fairly good sized tdeer with proper shot placement. But the other choices could be used for larger game if I so choose. I am confused!

Criggster 06-14-2005 01:05 PM

Take a step-up from the .243 and choose the .270. It is a very respectable cartridge and will suit your needs. The .06 probably has more kick than you want.

Blue Ridge 06-14-2005 01:54 PM

How does the muzzle blast compare to say, the .243 or 30-30? Does anyone know of a source for a comparison of muzzle blasts?

zrexpilot 06-14-2005 02:14 PM

.270 is quite a bit louder than a .243 with a bit more recoil.
People here will tell you different but a deer wouldnt know the difference between a .243 or a 7 mag. I know I have used both. anything over a 7-08 is overkill for deer. .243, 6mm, 260, and 7mm-08 are perfect deer, mulieand antelope cartridges. The .243 being the quietest and most pleasant to shoot, and still will kill elk.
Aproperly placed shot from a .243 is 10 times better than a gut shot from a .300 mag. .Ive been using a .243 for about 25 yrs. I have used other calibers but thats my favorite cartridge. I can actually see deer drop in the scope, hardly any recoil at all. super flat shooting and tons of ammo available. 55 gr bullets that shoot at 4000 fps or up to a 100 gr for deer. It's absolutley the best varmint round and no one here will disagree with that, I just find it perfect for deer as well, loaded with good 100 gr bullets.

Alsatian 06-14-2005 02:41 PM

For muzzle blast, use ear protection. Ear plugs at least, maybe something better.

I find the .30-30 kicks uncomfortably. No doubt this is largely due to the low weight of the lever action rifles in which it is commonly chambered (my son's Winchester Model 94) as well as the small and hard butt plate that this recoil is delivered to. I have developed bruises from shooting about 14 rounds of .30-30 at the range! I have a .30-06 that I shoot 180 grain bullets in and have no problem -- shooting this in a 10+ LBS rifle with a recoil pad on the rifle and a bigger butt area to distribute the kick to.

You could wear a special shooting coat with an absorber pad. Alternately, you could put a recoil pad on the .30-30.

Blue Ridge 06-14-2005 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

.Ive been using a .243 for about 25 yrs. I have used other calibers but thats my favorite cartridge. I can actually see deer drop in the scope, hardly any recoil at all. super flat shooting and tons of ammo available. 55 gr bullets that shoot at 4000 fps or up to a 100 gr for deer. It's absolutley the best varmint round and no one here will disagree with that, I just find it perfect for deer as well, loaded with good 100 gr bullets.
Wow, 25 years! Have you everregretted a shot? Perhaps one that was not quite the best placementand maybe a larger caliber would have performed better? Or a large deer that went too far after the shot?

Blue Ridge 06-14-2005 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

For muzzle blast, use ear protection. Ear plugs at least, maybe something better.

You could wear a special shooting coat with an absorber pad. Alternately, you could put a recoil pad on the .30-30.
I have considered the use of earplugs but wonder if I would have time to stick them in when the shot presents itself. I am not hunting with plugs in all day. Of course there are electronic ones, but rather expensive.

I am more concerned about blast than recoil, of course the less the recoil the better.