Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hours Spent Hunting

Old 09-20-2002, 12:54 PM

Default Hours Spent Hunting

I don't remember which board I read it but, I hate for anyone to buy a journal when you can make you own. I know a few do but I know alot more don't. So here is one to make your own and change as you wish.

HOURS SPENT HUNTING

Here are some examples of turkey and deer viewed while hunting after 6 weeks before Missouri Firearms season takes place. In 1999 after 73 hours of hunting, I viewed 36 whitetails and 153 wild turkeys.

In the year 2000 after 76 hours of hunting, I was able to view 33 whitetails and 86 wild turkeys.

Also tell how much time you hunt instead of how many days which does not tell you as much. Which days does more.

Below is the observation record I keep in the Cabin so each hunter that visits can see what the last hunter has viewed and helps the next guy coming into the woods.

Also this is a great way to keep track of which stands, times, and moons, etc are the best to hunt.

Putting all this information together after several years will help you understand the deer movements in your own back yard.

Also this is a great thing to pass along to your kids. To show them what to look for when they first head to the deer and turkey woods. I hope this helps you come up with one of your own observation records. Also adding other animals can be fun also. Fell free to make copies

I have this layed out from left to right but on the message board reads better up and down. Good luck

OBSERVATION RECORD FOR YEAR ________

TIME VIEWED
MOON PHASE
DATE
HUNTER
STAND/LOCATION
TURKEYS
DOES
FAWNS
BUCKS
UNKNOWN
SHOT

I don't have this on mine but I do note it on another sheet.
Temp.
Overall Weather
Barometer
Wind Direction
Direction of Travel of animal. (Start and Stop)

www.mosportsmen.com
&
http://walden.mvp.net
Old 09-21-2002, 05:32 AM

Default RE: Hours Spent Hunting

I use the same type of log, I write the information down after each hunt my buddie's thought it was a waste of time, I believe it's helped me over the year's if nothing else my kid's and grandkid's enjoy it, and after seeing the deer i have taken, two of my buddies are keeping a log......goodluck