HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   The best rifle for deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/102175-best-rifle-deer.html)

Ozark Sportsman 06-10-2005 10:06 AM

RE: The best rifle for deer?

a 243 would be nice but a Calenge at 400 hundred yards!

OGHUNTER 06-10-2005 10:41 AM

.243 thru the 30-06 are all capable of covering and produce enough knock down power out 200 yards. The most important question to ask yourself when purchasing a gun is are you comfortable with that caliper. The next important thing is to shoot it enough to where you have confidence in yourself and the gun to take the shot that is presented to you, even if its 50 yards or 250 yards out.

Rebel Dog 06-10-2005 10:50 AM

They say it's bad to be narrow minded which sometimes I think I am but it's 30-06 for me.

skillet 06-11-2005 12:50 PM

go with the 7mm mag. It's a little big for whitetails but if you ever want to hunt elk, bear or other larger game your all set. Its better to have to much gun than not enough. I had a 270 for 10 years then purchased the rem. 7mm mag. and love it. Ohh make sure you wear ear plugs when you shoot the 7mm. TRUST ME, MY EAR STILL RINGS 3 YEARS LATTER

SKILLET

recurver67 06-11-2005 01:47 PM

If I was going to a rifle I'd get one that will take anything from elk to deer. A little more gun is better than not enough . 280 Rem. would be the one for me.

Jeep4x4 06-13-2005 02:45 PM

The best rifle for deer is what ever you are most comfortable with. Caliber doesnt matter as long as its within your states legal diameter.

Muddyemms 06-13-2005 03:54 PM

I've got an '06, a .308, and I've used my father's .30-30 at times, based on the terrain I've been hunting at the time. For NY's Southern Zone, the '06. For NY's Northern Zone, near Willsboro, I've gone with the other two. I've thought about a .260 (ostensibly for my wife ;) ), but I've got other things to spend my money on . . . like a GPS . . . and scent control clothing . . .

huntersdengunshop 06-13-2005 06:20 PM

By far the best rifle for deer hunting is the rifle that you can shoot well and have confidence in. Being happy and sure of what your rifle will do is a big part of the hunt and the most fun too. Any of the popular deer calibers will work just fine with practice and patience. Good Luck

Mykey 06-15-2005 05:56 AM

My choice would be the 25.06 but my opimion could be a little bias because that happens to be my favorite caliber. It's a fast flat shooting andaccurate caliberthat hits the target hard and also has mild recoil. It's pure deer poison!:D

firstshot 06-19-2005 01:09 PM

Well, I've never been to the Catskills, but I do hunt the mountains of NW Arkansas and just went through this "pick a gun" thing this spring. I chose a Rem 700 Mountian LSS in 7MM-08. The stainless barrel & action and laminated stock are perfect for incliment weather and in my opinion the 7MM-08 has the perfect combination of light recoil and plenty of punch for deer sized game out to 300Yds.

A 400 Yd shot would be streaching the 7MM-08 a little, but I don't think I'd ever see a 400 Yd shot opportunity here in the Ozarks and wouldn't take the shot if I did. Right now I'm comfortable out to 200 Yds and practicing to extend that on out to 300YDs even though the vast majority of shots here are well under 200YDs.

firstshot
--------------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!