Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

12 Ga. Close in killing

Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 AM

Default RE: 12 Ga. Close in killing

000 all the way out to 75 yards with a full choke in. With the laws the way they are, pre dig the holes first.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:44 PM

OK and WOW what alot of advice. The morphine and beers have worn off and now I think cooler heads will prevail. The dogs are registered and have had recent rabies vaccinations. All things considered - I was pretty fortunate. My kids are OK. I have multiple puncture wounds on my left leg and a broken Humurus (upper right arm), and the attack (while incredibly unpleasant) was not excessively brutal. I know that sounds weird but they had me on the ground dead to rights and could have easily killed me if they wanted to - but didnt. I have spoken with the owners (after the cops and animal control spoke with them) and they know in no uncertain terms if they come on my property 1 more time they're toast. No questions. Animal control told me that this is the first incident of human attack by these dogs so now they are classified as "dangerous". 1 more attack and they get euthanaised. I laughed at them and said you must be kidding. They have to attack again to be put down?? What if they next guy isn't so lucky or the dogs are in a meaner mood?? Hence my decision to kill them next time they are on my property. I believe tripe oughts would do the job better than #5's. And I will be talking to an attorney tomorrow . Please dont take my initial post as a wanna - be - killer. I was truly upset at the misfortune I was dealt yesterday. I consider myself an ethical and responsible hunter. I wont go looking for them or for more trouble, but will be prepared to defend myself and my family and friends should it come looking for us. As they say' "make Love not war....but be prepared for both".
Old 06-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are a bigger man than me. I WOULD be hunting those two and their owner. I have had similar dog trouble over the years and 00 buck has always been my cure for it. My last incident was ended with two 200 yard shots from my 300 WSM. Two shot-two dead canines. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can't believe the authorities wouldn't get the dogs and put them down, especially considering your children were in the initial attack. I would make sure the word spread and that the authorities (contact all neighbors, newspapers and any other media that will listen) were put on notice that a further attack after this episode will result in lawsuits against the owners as well as the authorities that refuse to do their job. Incredible.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:09 PM

damn bro sorry to hear you got riped up. I would use Buckshot my self. I was attacked once, i was inside reading the many forums i visit daily when i heard my daughter screaming in terror outside. I grabed my glock and headed for the door. When i rounded the corner of the house i saw a pitbull had her and her friend pined on the 6' chainlink fence we have to the right of our house. When the dog saw me he charged and lunged. being as the dog was only about a year old i was able to push it to the side then snatch it up by the nap of the neck. My daughter had broke and ran for the house already, so i walked the dog about 10feet to the side of the road in our ditch, where i put 2 .40 in its skull. when the adrenaline stoped i had a HUGE gash on my left forearm and a nasty cut threw my left pant leg and into my thigh. Neighbor later came over (the next day) and wanted to fight, we did and him being like 20years my elder; and DRUNK i just let him hit the tree behind me and then fall in the ditch with his dog. the cops came and locked him up. Public Intox and something for lettin the dog roam witout a leash, he wanted me to press charges due to the cuts and stuff i had gotten but i declined. My rule, ANY ANIMAL that bites a HUMAN is dead if i am around. PEACE
Old 06-05-2005, 08:31 PM
XTP

Get a lawyer ( typical ),assault weapons,00 buck shot.....Holy Sh*t guys these are dogs!! Lets the local authorities handle it or you will be up the creek.If they don't and/or the dogs come back I agree 100 % with defending yourself or others,but a load of #2 shot will put any dog down at a defensive range and change their minds pretty quick out further.Rifle bullets and 00 buck overpenetrate and can ricochet endangering other people ( even the ones you may be protecting).A shot load up close is just as effective but spreads out and loses energy quickly.

Don't take this the wrong way.....your attack was unfortunate and the owners need to be held accountable.I own a Rottie myself and know how much strength they have.With two of them there you are lucky to not be much worse off.Normally if a Rottie bites and does not want to let go,you will not overpower him.

Lastly...make sure you can still shoot with a broken wing. A 12 guage packs a good kick. Might have to select a different weapon in the meantime.I believe it was Elmer Keith who said he would rather stand in front of a nimrod with a .44 mag than in front of an expert with a .22 !!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:33 PM

I just thought of something...

The dogs attacked your kids first, then you... maibe, with a good lawyer, that could count as 2 attacks?

why do people even own fighting dogs? you have to be really stupid... especially in a neighborhood with a lot of kids...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 PM
XTP

[:@]Hold on a second,lets set the record straight on one thing......Rottweilers are not "fighting dogs" despite what your local paper might put in the headlines !!!!! They were bred as working dogs on farms.Their attributes are their strength,stamina and they are very devoted and protective animals.I trust my dog around MY kids in MY yard.I also keep the yard locked so he can't run loose...this is where the owner is responsible.
However,given the right(..or rather the WRONG) treatment and upbringing,all those characteristics which I like in a dog,can be turned into something verging on evil.
Zoomer...I am sorry for what happened to you and your kids,,,,but like firearms....lets not target a entire breed as being bad...but place the responsibilty on those who should be in control.You would'nt leave that shotgun lying around for your kids to play with right..........same goes for ANY large breed of dogs.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with xtp on this one....Rotty's are awesome pets! I wouldn't own any other kind of dog again after owning my 3 rotty's...
If your going to own a big dog you as the owner need to make sure you take the time to teach that dog how to behave! My rotty's are/were under control at ALL times..... Bad dogs come from bad owners!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:56 AM

Well put XTP and Jerseyjim.

Quick Reply: 12 Ga. Close in killing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.