Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guided hunts

Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guided hunts

I have read this thru a few times and I have one thing to add.....Nothing!

Definitely well thought out feelings and expressions.

To the author: Applause, Applause!

Nice job Alsatian!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Good job Al....

I personally know that not all guides view their "Sports" in the same way. Some actually care about their client base. I've been on guided hunts and would return to the same guide again if funding allowed. I actually keep in touch with one guide and a lot of times we dont even talk about hunting.... I view him not only as a guide but also as a good friend who shares a passion with me.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:43 AM

I have read this thru a few times and I have one thing to add.....Nothing!

Definitely well thought out feelings and expressions.

To the author: Applause, Applause!

Nice job Alsatian!
Absolutely!!!

Good job, and extremely well thought out.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent!!! German Shepard (Alsatian) j/k has said everything that needs to be said!!

I have thought about guides and their pricing and whatnot one time. When I checked into a few of them, I flipped out... I was like, "Excuse me? How much?!?!?!?"

Butch A.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 PM

Butch....Did you think babysitting these guys would be cheap? I don't care what anyone on here has to say on this subject. Banding together means nothing. It's like watching a bunch of drunks justifying their next drink together. I live it, therefore, I know it. A sport is a shooter, nothing more. If you want the title of hunter, earn it. Do the work; all of it. Scout, prep stands, gut your kills, drag your own kills, and everything else that goes along with the title.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

moose...We are all entitled to our opinion.

I have mine and you have yours...and yours is wrong!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: moosehornhunter
Butch....Did you think babysitting these guys would be cheap?
maybe I am confused here.... I don't know.... See, here is the way I look at hunting with guides or public land or private land. Take these four hunting examples:

Hunt #1: {Public land}. 9,000 hunters all over the place. Some walk right by you and your stand. No matter where you go, you'll always bump into someone. Others send hound dogs running amok in the woods too. Hunts almost always end up in frustration due to overhunting pressure and crowds. [:'(]

Hunt #2: {Private land}. You and 4 other buddies have access too 100 acres of lush forest and mixed fields/meadows. No hunting pressure at all as the land is heavily posted. You and your buddies have scouted, poured over topo maps, and know every detail of the 100 acres. You set permanent stands and know exactly where the best spot is and which way the wind always blows. Success rate is very high too. You also gut, clean, and hang your own deer, back at camp.

Hunt #3: {guided hunt/game farm}. You pay $$$$ and arrive a day in advance or that evening before the hunt. You have a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and get to know other hunters. That morning, the guides sit you in the back of a flatbed truck and they haul you out to a stand and get you setup. They leave you there and tell you what direction to be aiming at. They take off and spook an entire herd of deer towards you, giving you the pick of almost any deer that comes by you, as they can't jump the high fences. Success rate is 100% guaranteed. Once you get one, they come back for you and haul your deer away for you, then they gut it, clean it, skin it, quarter it, and give you the prime meat in a cooler. Basically put - you shoot a deer that they lead to you.

Hunt #4: {guided hunt}. You still pay $$$$ and arrive a day in advance or that evening before the hunt. You have a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and get to know other hunters. That morning, the guides take you out and show you the best areas to hunt, but leave everything up to you. The whole area is heavily posted and there are no fences anywhere to be found. Success rate is high, but it all depends on your hunting ability. If you get a deer, you can gut it, clean it, or ask for help and they will help for additional $$$. If you don't get a deer, you are welcomed back at a very low discount rate to try again.

OUT OF THESE 4 EXAMPLES: WHICH IS HUNTING AND WHICH IS NOT?!?

I will gladly take Hunt #2 anyday, except I don't have access to private land. [&o] I'm a #1 hunter and at times, the rate of hunters vs game animals on any given public WMA is almost laughable... There is no way in H*LL would I ever go on a high fenced (#3) hunt! That is just shooting, not hunting. I might consider a #4 hunt, provided I can go where I want do everything myself. But, I don't know if guides let you do that.

Butch A.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Butch....Did you think babysitting these guys would be cheap? I don't care what anyone on here has to say on this subject. Banding together means nothing. It's like watching a bunch of drunks justifying their next drink together. I live it, therefore, I know it. A sport is a shooter, nothing more. If you want the title of hunter, earn it. Do the work; all of it. Scout, prep stands, gut your kills, drag your own kills, and everything else that goes along with the title.
How on earth can a person do this when they live 2000 miles from where they will be hunting? And how can a person hunt elk, when they have never seen one in the wild before?

If you are a guide, which I highly doubt, you are quite the hypocrite.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I live it, therefore, I know it. A sport is a shooter, nothing more. If you want the title of hunter, earn it. Do the work; all of it. Scout, prep stands, gut your kills, drag your own kills, and everything else that goes along with the title.

This guy may have just about convinced me maybe hes right ...if we all did this then no one would need a guy like HIM!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Ya just can't let it go can ya doctor guideme.....thank god you were not born a fish, cuz you would have so many holes in your mouth you wouldn't be able to eat. Shouldn't you be planning your next guided hunt or something? Spend some time with your son, he looks angry.

Quick Reply: Guided hunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.