Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do They Need To Move The Hunting Season Back A Month? >

Do They Need To Move The Hunting Season Back A Month?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do They Need To Move The Hunting Season Back A Month?

Old 05-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do They Need To Move The Hunting Season Back A Month?

I don't bow hunt or even know when bow hunting season starts. However In the Dakotas, its usually quite cool by the time rifle season starts. It can be warm in the day time but usually buy November when our season starts, it is freezing every night. During the later part of rifle season last year it was 20 below zero some mornings. There are no ticks and bugs in the dakoatas in November and later.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

definately in ga
Old 05-28-2005, 09:33 PM

no lie first month of hunting season we had ACs goin at the camp, i was hunting box blind with tanktop and shorts with tennis shoes. STILL sweat my arse off.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

virginia could use to copy wv here, move the bow season back two weeks, and all other seasons with it. allow us bowhunters to have more of the rut to ourselves.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in East Texas it can be very hot during bow season. Or even in December, for that matter!
That said, the seasons are just fine here, as they are! Bow hunting is all of October. Gun season starts the first weekend in November, and runs through all of December. If anyone has a gripe, its the muzzleloaders! They get one, or two weeks in January, after gun season is over, and they get does, and spikes only!
All-in-all, we get three and a half months of deer hunting! Thats pretty darn good!
Yes, October is usually hot, but even at that, the rut starts to peak during the last week of October, so you will see deer moving then wether its hot or cold! The gun hunters get the last two weeks or so, of the rut. There's not much to complain about there! In years that the rut comes early, the bow hunters will get at least two weeks of good rut hunting!
If the hunting seasons were moved any later, the majority of the hunters would be missing out on the prime rut!
One other negative about moving the seasons further into January, or even February, is that in some years the bucks are already shedding their antlers by that time! Not to mention, most of the does are by then, well into their pregnancy!
So, I'd leave our local seasons alone! When the bow hunters, AND gun hunters are getting a piece of the prime rut, it doesn't matter if its hot or not! You will see deer! Early cold fronts here are just icing on the cake!
Old 05-29-2005, 06:50 PM

Whew. I HATE sweatin during the season. Bow opens mid October and gun opens the Monday before Thanksgiving (usually....) in NY where I hunt. I have bow hunted in short sleeves, and have also been buried by snow and sleet on opening day gun. Honestly, I'm very happy with the seasons.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:12 PM

I do believe a longer bow season is a good idea. Here in Illinois it starts from the first of October and goes until mid-January. In other words, from Velvet to Shed.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Wish it would start later in southeastern S.C. also. Gun and bow start Aug.15. Its 143 in the shade down here,for cryin out loud!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:10 PM

143??? I dont think so Clyde.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it would be impossible to have everyone happy with their seasons. So many factors go into deciding when the season opens, when it closes, what time I can hunt, what time I cannot hunt, what sex I can shoot, what sex I cannot shoot, what weapon I can use, what weapon I cannot use and how many I am allowed to shoot..

Every reply I have read here says nothing about the deer herd, the Fish and Game Dept or whoever is responsible in setting hunting dates.

It's about, me as a hunter...I would be too cold, it's way to hot in early Fall, bugs here, ice there..yadda, yadda....No point ever mentioned about what is best for the deer.

I guess I was just a little suprised or maybe I missed the point entirely.

Quick Reply: Do They Need To Move The Hunting Season Back A Month?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.