Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Tip or Strategy

Old 05-25-2005, 04:23 PM

Default RE: Best Tip or Strategy

My best tip for a trophy buck??
Never, ever, underestimate the power of a fresh tarsal gland to really infuriate the top dog and ensure he comes your way.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 PM

i use a sling al the time. I practiced from like 10 grabing the but rolling the gun up to my shoulder and gettin on sight. i migh tlose half mabye a whole second. nothing i think would effect my shooting. Never had to try it in the field tho, just at the range.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: SHoNUFF

i use a sling al the time. I practiced from like 10 grabing the but rolling the gun up to my shoulder and gettin on sight.
the only problem I see with that is that by grabbing the butt & rolling the gun up to your shoulder, you unwillingly point your gun at anything/everything behind you which makes everyone around you nervous
But I guess if you are alone that must work great
Old 05-26-2005, 07:05 AM

yea thats only when i hunt alone and am walking, i should say that i make it a point to take the slings off when with a group and i make them takes theres off as well. No scarier filling in the world than walkin next to someone, you hear THUNK, look over and there freakin sling has slid down there shoulder and the barrle is now pointed at your head. Happend once will not happen again.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure your pull rope is attached to your bow or rifle before you climb 30 ft up a tree.

Seriously, climb high and don't spend three days in a spot if you haven't seen deer. Be flexible. Also, take a dump before you climb on your stand. Nothing like trying to do that 30 ft up in a climber and into a garbage bag.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

take a dump before you climb on your stand. Nothing like trying to do that 30 ft up in a climber and into a garbage bag.

HAHAHA mental picture!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 AM

For bowhunters forget puffing powder to see the wind. Instead, tie or glue a piece of black thread to the end of your stabilizer. You can even check the wind at full draw then.

P.S. Its gonna take all day to get the picture of a hunter in a treestand crapping into a bag out of my head.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, and I forgot to say that it was in the rain and about 30 degrees.[:@]
Old 05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

This might apply to bowhunting a little more than gun hunting unless you have a long gun season......BUT DON'T OVER HUNT STANDS! If you have a big buck that your after, but you don't know his everyday routine to a T...leave that area alone until the rut and hit it hard. You don't want to educate him and throw him into being almost 100% nocturnal and have no shot at him at all.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:25 PM

I have four tips that I feel are all a big part of being consistantly succesful:

1. Always hunt the wind. No exceptions.

2. Hunt high. At least 25 feet or higher, preferably 30+ feet. This gets you in a completely different air current than is on the ground.

3. Shed hunt all winter long. There is no better way to learn the deer in your area than to be in the woods in the winter. Finding the drops is just a bonus. I can't stress enough how important this is in my opinion.

4. Don't rely on gadgets, gimicks, trinkets, and the rest of the nonsence that the hunting industry cashes in on. Nothing beats good old woods savy. It doesn't matter how many f.p.s. your bow shoots if the deer is 10 yards away. And they don't sell anything that can make up for cutting corners. If you want to cut corners, the woods is no place to do it. There is no suit, scent, bomb, soap, spray, or anything else for that matter that can keep you from getting winded if the wind blows from you to it....believe it. And there is nothing in a bottle that is gonna get em running in from miles around....sorry, but most have been had.

:

Quick Reply: Best Tip or Strategy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.