HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   White Knuckle Productions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/white-knuckle-productions-90/)
-   -   2008 Oct. Moon? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/white-knuckle-productions/210000-2008-oct-moon.html)

marshrat 10-02-2007 05:17 PM

2008 Oct. Moon?

I know its kind of early to ask this, but I've got a question for the WKP crew. This years fall equinox moon is Oct. 26th and all the experts say that from halloween into the first week of Nov. is going to be the hottest time to be in the woods. The fall equinox moon for 2008 is Oct 14th. In your opinion how will that affect the dates for next years prime time if at all. The reason I'm asking is I need to reserve the dates for a IL bow hunt for 2008 and of corase I would like to hit it at the right time.

flip13 10-02-2007 06:29 PM

RE: 2008 Oct. Moon?

Marshrat- I was looking at your post and did some research. In 2008 the autumnal equinox is 9-23. Then I look at the second full moon, after that date which should be around the 13th of nov. I would want to be in IL around that date not the Oct date. I am a resident of IL and I can tell you things are rocking the 1st week of nov through thanksgiving, I seem to always see a giant thanksgiving weekend. You never know when the gaints will hit the lockdown period, but I have killed a buck that last 5 years the first weekend in Nov. usually around 5-8th. That is when I am always in the tree. I hope this helps
Nic

WKP Todd 10-03-2007 10:15 AM

I think more importantly than the moon (even though the moon does have impact on deer movement), are weather fronts. If you can hunt the day before or after a front is moving or has moved through - you will see the big boys on their feet. Case in-point, November 11th of last year, a front moved in the night before, the next day we had an encounter with a Giant 5-1/2 or 6-1/2 year old, saw several other shooters on their feet, and Lakosky's knocked down I think 3 or 4 bucks in their camp on the exact same day. A cold front anytime in Late October and early to late November will be the time to be on-stand.

Last year (2005), I killed the Iowa Tree Shredder on the front of a weather system. The nastiest day of the season - pouring rain and sleet - but the night to kill a giant!

Good luck - I hope you kill a big one!

TallTines6 10-03-2007 12:45 PM

Todd has a great point about the weatherand if you can definately try to use it, but you will obviously have a problem planning a hunt in IL based on weather if you have a job that isn't flexible.

Here is what I believe about the moon. Yes, if it is full, there will be more night time action but at the same time I don't believe the moon changes when a deer can be bred. It will always be the same when that deer comes into heat. That means be in IL the 2-8th or 9-15. The same as usual.

If the moon is effecting daylight movement you need to be right on top of those bedding areas on the downwind side. Just be there a little earlier in the morning and you will beat the moonlight blues.

Good luck

flip13 10-03-2007 01:12 PM

Todd,
Is very right here, if you can hunt weather fronts you will be in for a great hunt. The hardest thing you have is trying to decide when to be on vaction a year in advance. I would be in IL anytime in November. I hope you get lucky with a good front passing through.
Nic

marshrat 10-03-2007 08:10 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the first week of Nov.. Its a hard choice, when IL is only one of the three states I'll be hunting. But can't be in 3 places at once. Thanks again

rdallas 10-04-2007 08:40 AM

I think that the first week of Nov. is a great choice. The bucks should not be locked down with does by then and you should see a lot of movement. I don't think there is anyway of going wrong with that week. Good luck.