HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   White Knuckle Productions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/white-knuckle-productions-90/)
-   -   Dog Days of Summer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/white-knuckle-productions/196990-dog-days-summer.html)

TallTines6 07-08-2007 09:58 PM

Dog Days of Summer

Man it is hot as the blazes out there today! Should be at a pool or in the a/c. But it's this time of year when I start to itch to do something deer related.
So I said heck w/ the heat and went down to the farm w/ Todd, and put out some trail cams over some ponds. 200-400 yd walks in this heat w/ pants on doesn't take long to be soaking wet. Hopefully the deer feel the way I did and need a drink. We'll see.

But the season is fast approaching now that the deer are starting to get horns on there heads. This is where the real work begins w/ hanging treestands, preparing food plots, trail cams, glassing, scouting terrain and trying to balance all this w/ life.
Long story short though I'm starting to get ancy and I am really needing to itch it. As much as it can really suck being out doing this stuff during the summer the rewards can make it seem like nothing.

So to all you guys starting to get out there already and get your preparation done enjoy, be careful, and bring lots of aqua....your gonna need it.

stikbow26 07-09-2007 04:51 AM

RE: Dog Days of Summer

Hey Tyler I hear ya!! Bruce and Lisa and I are going to head down and try to film some velvet footage this weekend in Illinois.. The heat is just crazy right know!! Yep lots of water and maybe a cocktail or two also!! Walt

Pass_Thru 07-09-2007 11:19 AM

Tyler, Other than this season with my being laid up Aaron and usuall skip out on the pool and beach parties and head out to either hang stands, plots, or long range scout over fields. Guys I work with think Im crazy as they sit on their boats drinking cold ones but then their the ones complaining in Oct as their not seeing any deer. Ill tell ya you get out of it what you put into it and sometimes that means being out in the timber instead of the pool when its pushing 90 degrees.

A few years back we actually hung stands when the afternoon temps hit 101 one day down in S. Illinois. I just can sit at the beach when theirs deer to watch. Just the way we are I guess and thats why we all get along so well.

Jason

WKP Todd 07-09-2007 11:32 AM

Yeah, it's hot as hell here in Iowa man! Had a little get-to-gether with some of the guys from Iowawhitetail.com yesterday, and I was sweating my butt off just sitting in the shade! I wish Lake Iowa existed and was in my back-yard! he he he....

flip13 07-09-2007 02:57 PM

Walt where in IL are you guys going. I have heard alot about you from Todd it would be great to meet you guys.
Nic- If you come anywhere close to champaign let me know
Nic

stikbow26 07-10-2007 07:56 AM

Flip we are down by Harrisburg!! Walt

mobow 07-10-2007 01:36 PM

I hear what you're saying about the heat.....And here in the great state of MO the heat is only part of it.....The humidity will all but KILL your butt....I set my camera out the other day as well.....So much for scent control.....I was soaking wet, and didn't smell very pretty either.....That's one reason I don't like messing w/ cameras this time of year......No way to keep it low impact......But I do love those pictures! :D

Pass_Thru 07-10-2007 05:51 PM

Yes I hear you on the humidity. Here in MI were surrounded by water and the lake gives off a ton of humidity when the hot air travels over it. Its brutel hanging stands in this stuff.

Jason