HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Wa. House considering Game Law Changes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/94641-wa-house-considering-game-law-changes.html)

summit daWg 03-20-2005 11:45 AM

Wa. House considering Game Law Changes

This looks like it COULD be good in some (Opportunity, revenue) ways, bad in others (???) Actually I'm surprised that they didn't figure out the money thing YEARS and YEARS ago!!!!!!!
Check out section#4

BILL REQ. #: Z-0055.1

HOUSE BILL 1211

By Representatives Blake, B. Sullivan, Buck, Kretz, Eickmeyer and Armstrong; by request of Department of Fish and Wildlife
Read first time 01/18/2005. Referred to Committee on Natural Resources, Ecology & Parks.

AN ACT Relating to deer and elk hunting; and amending RCW 77.32.450.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:

Sec. 1 RCW 77.32.450 and 2000 c 109 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) A big game hunting license is required to hunt for big game. A big game license allows the holder to hunt for forest grouse, unclassified wildlife, and the individual species identified within a specific big game combination license package. Each big game license includes one transport tag for each species purchased in that package. A hunter may not purchase more than one license for each big game species except as authorized by rule of the commission. The fees for annual big game combination packages are as follows:
(a) Big game number 1: Deer, elk, bear, and cougar. The fee for this license is sixty-six dollars for residents, six hundred sixty dollars for nonresidents, and thirty-three dollars for youth.
(b) Big game number 2: Deer and elk. The fee for this license is fifty-six dollars for residents, five hundred sixty dollars for nonresidents, and twenty-eight dollars for youth.
(c) Big game number 3: Deer or elk, bear, and cougar. At the time of purchase, the holder must identify either deer or elk. The fee for this license is forty-six dollars for residents, four hundred sixty dollars for nonresidents, and twenty-three dollars for youth.
(d) Big game number 4: Deer or elk. At the time of purchase, the holder must identify either deer or elk. The fee for this license is thirty-six dollars for residents, three hundred sixty dollars for nonresidents, and eighteen dollars for youth.
(e) Big game number 5: Bear and cougar. The fee for this license is twenty dollars for residents, two hundred dollars for nonresidents, and ten dollars for youth.
(2) In the event that the commission authorizes a two animal big game limit, the fees for the second animal are as follows:
(a) Elk: The fee is twenty dollars for residents, two hundred dollars for nonresidents, and ten dollars for youth.
(b) Deer: The fee is twenty dollars for residents, two hundred dollars for nonresidents, and ten dollars for youth.
(c) Bear: The fee is ten dollars for residents, one hundred dollars for nonresidents, and five dollars for youth.
(d) Cougar: The fee is ten dollars for residents, one hundred dollars for nonresidents, and five dollars for youth.
(3) In the event that the commission authorizes a special permit hunt for goat, sheep, or moose, the permit fees are as follows:
(a) Mountain goat: The fee is one hundred dollars for residents, one thousand dollars for nonresidents, and fifty dollars for youth.
(b) Sheep: The fee is one hundred dollars for residents, one thousand dollars for nonresidents, and fifty dollars for youth.
(c) Moose: The fee is one hundred dollars for residents, one thousand dollars for nonresidents, and fifty dollars for youth.
(4) Multiple season big game permit: The commission may, by rule, offer permits for hunters to hunt deer or elk during more than one general season. Only one deer or elk may be harvested annually under a multiple season big game permit. The fee is one hundred fifty dollars for residents and one thousand five hundred dollars for nonresidents.
(5) Authorization to hunt the species set out under subsection (3)(a) through (c) of this section or in multiple seasons as set out in subsection (4) of this section is by special permit ((identified)) issued under RCW 77.32.370.
(((4))) (6) The commission may adopt rules to reduce the price of a license or eliminate the transportation tag requirements concerning bear or cougar when necessary to meet harvest objectives.

--- END ---

slee 03-20-2005 12:10 PM

RE: Wa. House considering Game Law Change

I've discussed this on another forum, and the concensus was that there wasn't much in the way of changes coming down. We already pay extra for the drawing opportunity for the longer season, and the added fee if you get drawn is already there. I think this is what it is referring to for special permits. I'm not sure there is anything new, just put on the books. Anyone else know about this?

summit daWg 03-20-2005 12:28 PM

I printed up a copy last night,and have it in front of me and it looks to me that if I wanted to buy a Eastern Wa. Modern elk tag.... this will allow me to either get a second weapon Eastern Wa elk tag, or Western Wa modern tag for an additional $150.00. Or multiple weapon deer tags,since deer tags are statewide.
Am I wrong here??

Trav/WA 03-20-2005 03:44 PM

Why would they not make it like most of the other states, that is , hunt each general season until you get your one deer and elk? This makes more sense. If it actually allows you an extra tag, than that is a whole nother thing.(good thing)

Montana Bob 03-20-2005 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: summit daWg
Sec. 1 RCW 77.32.450 and 2000 c 109 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) A big game hunting license is required to hunt for big game. A big game license allows the holder to hunt for forest grouse, unclassified wildlife, and the individual species identified within a specific big game combination license package.
--- END ---
This mean I can hunt Bigfoot with just a Big Game license?:D

kirkl 03-21-2005 09:41 AM

I dont see any changes from whats happening now, and there not going to let us hunt 3 seasons for an animal. These animals would never get a break.

RyanH 03-21-2005 12:11 PM

Talked to a guy with WDFW they are considering a multi season option but would make it special draw only I.E. 1000 tags for deer or less and you could only hunt that one species.
-Ryan

summit daWg 03-21-2005 03:12 PM

Interesting, but we are talking about Washington here and that would only bring in $150,000.00 if they were all residents x 2 for elk would be 300K. This state is greedier than that.
Here is a little amendment on the senate side of this bill. Does anyone know where senator Hargrove is from?? I didn't see where he is from Kittitas or Chelan counties

5225-S AMS HARG S2452.3
SSB 5225 - S AMD137
By Senator Hargrove

On page 3, after line 7, insert the following:

"NEW SECTION. Sec. 2 (1) The department of fish and wildlife shall contract with Central Washington University to conduct research to determine the causes of elk damage to agricultural lands.
(2) In addition to the fees for big game licenses set forth in RCW 77.32.450, the department of fish and wildlife shall impose a surcharge of one dollar for each license authorizing the hunting of elk. Revenues from the elk hunting license surcharge must be deposited in the state wildlife fund.
(3) This section expires July 1, 2007.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 3 The sum of one hundred ninety-six thousand dollars, or as much thereof as may be necessary, is appropriated for the biennium ending June 30, 2007, from the state wildlife fund to the department of fish and wildlife for the purposes of section 2 of this act."

SSB 5225 - S AMD137
By Senator Hargrove

On page 1, line 1 of the title, after "hunting;" strike the remainder of the title and insert "amending RCW 77.32.450; creating a new section; making an appropriation; and providing an expiration date."

--- END ---

ORIGINAL: RyanH

Talked to a guy with WDFW they are considering a multi season option but would make it special draw only I.E. 1000 tags for deer or less and you could only hunt that one species.
-Ryan

summit daWg 03-21-2005 03:15 PM

We've been saying that for years.;) But once again......we are talking about Washington here. Murray, Cantwell, Gregiore........Need I say more?

ORIGINAL: Trav/WA

Why would they not make it like most of the other states, that is , hunt each general season until you get your one deer and elk? This makes more sense. If it actually allows you an extra tag, than that is a whole nother thing.(good thing)

kirkl 03-21-2005 05:22 PM

This state has a big hunting population compared to the size of the state. Hunting all 3 seasons wouldnt work. Youd have a slaughter, If they did i say take away muzzleloader season, montana doesnt even have a muzzleloader season, its bow or rifle. You can use a m/L but no special season.