HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Wa. House considering Game Law Changes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/94641-wa-house-considering-game-law-changes.html)

RyanH 03-21-2005 05:36 PM

RE: Wa. House considering Game Law Change

Thats what they said they were going to do is make it only two seasons for the muliti season permit

trapper T 03-24-2005 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: kirkl

I dont see any changes from whats happening now, and there not going to let us hunt 3 seasons for an animal. These animals would never get a break.
I sit in on the public forums for these things and we brought up the notion of eliminating the "choose your weapon" tags. Like a lot of states already have. WE even told the WDFW we'd even pay a fee to do this. The animals are already being hunted from August to Dec. This would give the Archery guy who didn't tag out the chance to pick up an M/L or Rifle or any guy the chance to use multiple weapons, and try and tag out. The fee is pretty steep if I read this right $150. So to deter some folks from doing it. We brought it up for thos of us who want every chance we have to be out there hunting, not just to tag out. I think it's great. ANd I don't think hunting pressure will be affected to much.

kirkl 03-24-2005 09:14 AM

That $150 wouldnt deter nobody, I think youd have every muzzle loader and archery guy that didnt tag out hunting the rifle season. So add those hunters to the people already hunting the rifle season and it makes it a little more crowded I would think. Just my .02. I just dont think a system like that would work in this state.

summit daWg 03-24-2005 02:03 PM

It may not deter many from trying, but not very many can afford to spend as much time as we REALLY would like to out there in the field hunting. Yes weekends could get crowded, but I'd be willing to be that the critters would spook easier, sooner, and quicker than before just by the added numbers of people in thier territory
Would we rather see them abandon "Spike only"????

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That $150 wouldnt deter nobody, I think youd have every muzzle loader and archery guy that didnt tag out hunting the rifle season. So add those hunters to the people already hunting the rifle season and it makes it a little more crowded I would think. Just my .02. I just dont think a system like that would work in this state.

kirkl 03-24-2005 02:50 PM

Weve had the spike only talk before, spike only doesnt bother me. I like being able to have a chance at a good bull if I draw a permit.

Have 2 Hunt 04-01-2005 01:03 PM

I think the Washington Fish & Wildlife's rule and regulation problems all boil down to too much politics and too little science. And unfortunatly I don't see any changes happening there.

summit daWg 04-05-2005 01:44 PM

Seems it passed the house 96 - 0 - 2 (absent). It is now progressing in the senate.
Went through some of the other propsed bills this morning........we got some real MORONS down there!! How about a bill proposed to establish special "We love our pets" license plates?

SB 5225-S - DIGEST

(DIGEST OF PROPOSED 1ST SUBSTITUTE)

Provides that the commission may, by rule, offer permits for hunters to hunt deer or elk during more than one general season. Only one deer or elk may be harvested annually under a multiple season big game permit. The fee is one hundred fifty dollars for residents and one thousand five hundred dollars for nonresidents. All revenue derived from the sale of multiple season big game permits must be deposited in a separate account within the state wildlife fund and must be used only for big game management.

trapper T 04-11-2005 06:41 PM

Weve had the spike only talk before, spike only doesnt bother me. I like being able to have a chance at a good bull if I draw a permit.

See my opinion differs from two points, if you shoot all the young ones, and at the same time raffle to kill some olders, add in age and other mortality factors you soon have no Elk, and I also like the chance at a nice bull, but I don't "Gamble" whether i have the " RIGHT" to hunt that year.....my 2 cents

slee 04-11-2005 10:00 PM

I'll throw in my .02 on this. If this goes through, in 6 years we will be on a Draw Only system. There is NO WAY you can put that many people(and there will be that many people) in the woods from Sep to Dec and let them hunt until they tag out, and not negatively affect herds. How are you going to funnel pressure off certain areas? If you start restricting GMUs, you'll only overload another area. They will get as much revenue as they can, scrap it when the new game management plan comes out in 6 years, and say "Hey, we need a Permit Only setup. There are too many hunters in the woods, and the herd numbers are suffering." It's coming! Might as well grease up now.[:@]

summit daWg 04-12-2005 10:06 AM

I gotta go with trapper T on this one. I saw many spikes last year that sure seemed they could be f..ed up due to inner-breeding which would be cause for argument to AT LEAST expand the number of any bull tags given out,if not just go to any bull ..period.
As I said before, not every hunter can afford to spend all the time they would like to in the field, and I don't see the problem there. Add the $3 a gallon fuel by then.
One question though....... does anyone know the reason why "spike only" works best here, and 3 point or better works best there??