HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Wyoming Elk hunt info requested (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/85728-wyoming-elk-hunt-info-requested.html)

David/Mo 01-09-2005 05:52 AM

Wyoming Elk hunt info requested

My hunting partner and I are considering appling for Wyoming elk hunt. Would like to here some good suggestions on places to look at hunting. Was thinking of the Snowy Range area west of Lariame, anybody with expierence with this area please add your comments, or if you have other good suggestions let us know, want to stay out of grizzly country. E-mail me with your info
[email protected]
David/Mo

RandyL 01-09-2005 10:33 AM

RE: Wyoming Elk hunt info requested

The snowys have good populations of elk. Not a true trophy area but numbers are good and seasons are liberal. Not sure if you know or not, in Wyoming you can bow hunt on your tag in Sept. then return during the gun season. All you have to do is buy an archery tag in addition to your limited quota or general tag. There is a lot of public land in the snowys, but you need to get off the beaten path to get away from the crowds. That is why bow hunting is becoming more enjoyable.

Don't let the bears keep you out of other areas, you stand a greater chance of getting struck by lightning!

Humboldt 01-09-2005 11:02 AM

I was in the Saratoga area up until the day before elk season and the quality deer hunting was isolated to private property (I hate that), but the hunting on public land was definitely elk oriented. I saw numerous six point bulls, but could only imagine the people that show up to hunt. Timber in this region stretches all the way to the top of most ridges and that's where the bulls are. If your after pure trophy quality they're there, but your work is definitely cut out for you.

Good Luck!

Boldt

SIMPLEARKANSAN 01-25-2005 12:15 PM

I got invited to gun hunt elk on private property near Tensleep, WY. I have applied for a bull elk tag. This is zone/area 49. I heard that this is primarily private land. Does this increase my odds at being drawn? Also, does anyone know anything about the elk numbers in this area? If drawn this will be my first elk hunt. Thanks.

RandyL 01-27-2005 08:00 PM

Simple, check the draw odds on the WyG&F website. There are some big bulls in that area. Last fall a resident took a 409 (gross) bull there, It made all the papers. My seen it at her office and said it was huge. There are lots of elk in the Big Horns, some seasons ran 30 days last fall. Only two packs of wolves so far so there should be lots of elk for a few years.

SIMPLEARKANSAN 01-27-2005 08:04 PM

RandyL, thanks for the information. I hope to be drawn. I will know February 28th, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

RandyL 01-27-2005 08:05 PM

Good luck! I live 22 miles from Tensleep.

SIMPLEARKANSAN 01-27-2005 08:32 PM

RandyL, how far are we from Jackson Hole or Yellowstone? If we were so blessed to all tag out the first couple of days, we would like to see some more of Wyoming.

usa 01-28-2005 01:26 AM

Randyl, I'll take my chance's with lightning, I hunted out of Cody 2 year's ago and saw very fresh bear track's everyday, over at sunshine there were 5 bear's along a two mile stretch of river and forest service was coming by warning all the hunter's, when I got back to my truck there was a grizzly about 100 yds from me on a little island in the middle of a stream, bear's don't scare me but I have great respect for them. My point is that if this fella is already worried about bear's as soon as he see's fresh sign his hunt will probably be ruined ! so he's better off staying clear of bear country. somebody told me that a grizzly was spotted this last season down near alpine , if true it won't be long before most of Wyo has bear's.

RandyL 01-28-2005 07:18 AM

Simple, there is lots to see around the Ten Sleep area. Beautiful country. Jackson is aournd 200 miles from TS and the park is closer, maybe 135. A nice drive would be to the park then down to Jackson. Nice time of year to go, not many tourists.

USA, I am waiting for the grizzlys to show up in the Big Horns, I can't believe there isn't one already there. There are wolves but they cross open country easier I think than a bear would.