West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

WOLVES

Old 03-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WOLVES

Just curious FeverDreams. I notice that the ONLY thing you post about on this forum are wolf issues. and you are very pro wolf, with almost NO profile showing. Tell us a bit about yourself, so we can relate to your stand on this issue. Sure looks to me that you might not be a hunter.... Thanks.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

summit daWg; Is this the only poster that makes you wonder about their intent??
Old 03-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

No.... not really. Just one of the most obvious due to what they post about, and lack of a profile.
ORIGINAL: Snooky

summit daWg; Is this the only poster that makes you wonder about their intent??
Old 03-27-2005, 06:11 PM

I hate wolves and coyotes.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:16 PM

I like how you put that "manage" that is what we as sportsman are supposed to do.
ORIGINAL: DUCKSTAMPEDE

I think that is where I am coming from-once outside the park-they should be fair game and the method of taking should be controlled not just open season. I have actually seen wolves in the wild and I believe without poisoning and the like they will survive again just like the coyotes do-but once they come out of the protected areas then we ought to be able to 'manage' them.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:47 PM

How can you hate a beautiful predator. I hunt, trap and fish both fresh and saltwater. I have hunted in every state except Hawaii. In Canada and to call yourself a hunter and now enjoy the beauty of nature is what fuels the anti-s in this country. To stare down a predator eye to eye has got to be one of the most thrilling things in life. Management is the key to the problem. Mangement of habitat, wildlife, and people. People being the hardest and the most costly.

Till our trails cross,
Ryan Cooper aka "Wild Works"

PS I don't hide my profile! I have my beliefs and take a stand, therefore I stand for something, My beliefs!!!
ORIGINAL: Brush hunter

I hate wolves and coyotes.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 AM

First of all, let me rephrase: I don't realy hate wolves and coyotes, I just have no use for them. Second. Canada is not a state. Third, whats your profile?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second the "third" for many posts I have seen on these forums

Here is a story from the Casper star Tribune from this week regarding these Critters......

Jackson, Wyoming - Saturday, April 02, 2005

Feds kill five wolves

By CAT URBIGKIT
Star-Tribune correspondent Saturday, April 02, 2005

PINEDALE -- Federal wildlife officials killed five wolves in Sublette County earlier this week in response to chronic livestock depredations.

Mike Jimenez of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said the wolves were members of the Daniel wolf pack, which has been implicated in the killing of at least 21 head of livestock in the last few years. Five members of the pack were killed last year as well, and federal officials do not know how many members of the pack are still roaming.

One night last week, the wolf pack entered a Daniel-area ranch pasture where pregnant cows were located, bringing two of the animals down. One of the cows was alive but severely wounded when found early the next morning and was destroyed by the ranch owners. Both of the cows were due to give birth, as calving in the herd had already begun, doubling the losses for the ranch.

The wolves then moved to another ranch, killing a yearling cow there.

Federal wildlife officials investigated and determined that wolves were responsible for the cattle deaths, all of which occurred in private lands, Jimenez said. The Fish and Wildlife Service granted authority for the entire pack to be eliminated.

Jimenez said that on Monday, a USDA Wildlife Services crew flew the area of the last confirmed kill, spotted a pack of five wolves and was able to shoot and kill all five.

Although the Daniel pack has been in the news recently because of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department's concerns with the pack harassing elk on elk feedgrounds, control actions were undertaken based solely on the pack's livestock depredations, Jimenez said.

Rancher Stella Taylor said she and other local ranchers believe there are more wolves in the area.

"They are hanging in here," Taylor said. "There could still be more in here."

Bar W Bar Ranch Manager Merrill Dana agreed: "They only got about a third of them. We all know there are more than five wolves in the Daniel pack."

Dana said last week was the third occasion in which elk from a nearby feedground arrived on the ranch with a pack of wolves in tow.

"Every time the elk leave the feedground and come down here -- every time -- the next night, you're going to get the wolves in on you," Dana said.

Wyoming Game and Fish Department elk feedground manager Gary Hornberger said, "That particular pack was working the (nearby) Jewett elk feedground pretty hard in late February and March."

The wolves would harass the elk so much that all 678 head of elk repeatedly fled the feedground, Hornberger said.

"They were hitting them nightly," Hornberger said.

If the elk fled to the north, there wasn't much problem, according to Hornberger. But if the elk ran to the south, they ran to the private lands of Bar W Bar, increasing the possibility of elk transmitting brucellosis to cattle, in addition to bringing a pack of wolves to the cattle herd.

Aggressive action by the ranch kept the cattle and elk separated, and Hornberger added that the Game and Fish Department pushed the elk back to the feedground on several occasions.

Wolves have made their presence known on at least five other elk feedgrounds in Sublette County this winter as well, he said.