Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Anyone get a moose this year?? >

Anyone get a moose this year??

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Anyone get a moose this year??

Old 12-24-2004, 11:21 PM

Default Anyone get a moose this year??

hello all fellow hunters....just wanted to know if anyone has been successful in moose hunting this year and please note where you killed it....thanks....
Old 12-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone get a moose this year??

A couple of my hunting partners headed to eastern ID and killed a nice bull. The meat was pretty good too.

Old 12-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a last day of season cow moose with my bow this November. She weighed in around 1100 pounds on the hoof (estimated), and we got a touch over 500 pounds of processed meat (weighed) off of her. Some real good eating, and lots of it.

Great hunt too, we used a Montana Decoy Cow Moose, and with some bull grunts and cow moans, we kept her close at bay. I finally snuck around some willows into an opening and got a 30 yard shot right into her lungs. She made it about 140 yards on a dead run and laid up. We had her packaged up and in the freezer by 2:30pm the next day.

Old 12-25-2004, 10:25 PM

where does one get a cow decoy???
Old 12-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Here's my BC moose. 45" taken in the Omineca's

" />
Old 12-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whereever you can find Montana Decoy's, you should be able to have them order you the moose decoy. My buddy got his on-line.

That decoy got me that moose for the most part, I doubt we would of gotten her without it. I'd like to have one with me on every moose hunt I go on from now on.

Do a quick google search for Montana Decoy Moose and you should be able to find plenty of suppliers.

Great picture Bob!
Old 12-26-2004, 02:41 PM

thanks artic...I have killed only one cow in Wyoming not as big as the ones you kill in Alaska but im fascinated by this decoy stuff you would think it only works with deer or ducks but moose? who woulda thought? Interesting....
Old 12-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Renzo decoy's will be coming out with a caribou decoy pretty soon too, we plan to pick one or two up and give that a try as well.

That cow moose kept looking at me, then at my buddy with the decoy, then at me, then back at my buddy. The decoy is double sided, and faces a certain direction, which was right at me at the time. He flipped the decoy around and it was facing the woods, and the moose turned and looked into the woods, then back at him, then into the woods again. That is when I was finally able to slip through the willows and get a shot off.

If it looks like a moose, and sounds like a moose.....

I was impressed with the realisitic features on the moose. If you had a cow tag and were sitting in a tree stand a hundred yards away, you would probably put a half dozen holes in it before figuring something wasn't right.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

I see you guy's Bowhunt as I do. Here is something worth checking into.
Here in Montana a guy I know has developed a decoy of sorts and it might also come out in a Moose model.
What it is is an cow Elk head which is made of collapasable foam and attached to it is cloth which resembles the front chest of a cow. You attach the unit to your bow cutting out small holes for your site as well as your rest. You are then able to hold it out in front of you and resemble an Elk. It has been around for awhile. The guy just started to market it as everyone was stealing the idea. I have heard stories about this guy walking up on Elk to within feet as well as coyotes and other game.
He's got the cow Elk version for around $100. Sorry I can't remember the name of the unit but I will be getting one in the future and will post a picture of the unit. You can search the internet and might find something.
I swear when you see it mounted on someone's bow you will think it's an Elk from a short distance.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It took me several years to save enough pennys to go to AK, but I finally got to go this fall, Sept., and here's the moose that I got. We hunted about 230 air miles west of Anchorage and I used my 300 Win. mag.

Was abit over 65" and ended up with 638#'s of boneless meat at the locker. In the picture, I am on the right and my buddy's dad is in the pic. with me.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a moose this year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.