HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Best area in WA for elk? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/83204-best-area-wa-elk.html)

Washington Hunter 12-19-2004 12:31 PM

Best area in WA for elk?

Well after another season with an un-filled elk tag for my area my dad and I are thinking of planning an elk hunt in a different area of the state. Being that we've never really hunted for them in WA, we're a little stumped as of where to go. What unit would we have the greatest chance of filling our tags? We'll be hunting with archery equipment if that needs to be taken into consideration at all. We aren't real big trophy hunters so if we got a shot at a cow we'd most likely take it.

Thanks folks!

Washington Hunter 12-27-2004 02:29 PM

RE: Best area in WA for elk?

Thanks for the info guys... :eek:

kirkl 12-27-2004 05:17 PM

Any of the yakima units would be good for a cow if your in the right spot at the right time. rimrock, goose prairie, bumping, peaches ridge, take your pick. Unless you get drawn for a big bull permit you dont have worry about being big trophy hunters cause your only chance is at a spike or cow or you hunt the west side which has a 3 pt minimum in some units.

Do you guys hunt the herd up there in the colville area. Got any hot spots up there for a rifle hunter.

Washington Hunter 12-27-2004 09:49 PM

No, the last couple years we've been hunting a herd on Mica Peak, but they always seem to move out to Turnbull before the season opens. With winter being weird like it was this year we didn't see anything at all, we haven't even heard of anyone getting anything in any of the seasons.

Thanks for the information! :)

kirkl 12-28-2004 01:41 PM

What is turnbull, what does that herd do this time of year, I see that mica peak unit is open for AHE hunters from dec. 9-31 which i just got. Is there elk is units 130,139 and 142 along with mica which is 127. Might take a spine up there next year to check those areas out.

tiggeer 12-28-2004 02:08 PM

If its the Turnbull south of Cheney, its a wildlife refuge, I have seen elk driving down go hunt mule deer, they were chillin right on the side of the road, it was pretty cool!!!!

RyanH 12-28-2004 02:52 PM

My favorite west side areas are Margaret, Locowit, and Mashel Lots of guys like White River two.

Washington Hunter 12-28-2004 09:19 PM

The Turnbull I was talking about was in fact the wildlife refuge. A large portion of our mountain's herd heads to Turnbull towards the middle of September.

Elktipper 01-02-2005 11:23 PM

WA Hunter,
Is there very much public land around the Turnbull Wildlife Refuge? Or did you guys have to go door to door to get permission to hunt? I talked with some guys a couple weeks ago at the Mill Creek WDFW (Seattle) and they were saying that those animals move around so much that they are very difficult to pattern if at all. Is that true? They said the little fiefdoms that they hunted were really hit and miss for sign.

I am hearing that the Mashel area is really good to hunt. The UW has some property down there called Pack Forest. They let you hunt the property, in fact if you get one and talk with someone onsite who administrates the property they often will take a vehicle out on the gated roads to help you recover an animal. Seems like a sweet deal. You will need to check the statics for the last couple years to see how well they did in the area.

My buddys dad see alot of Elk in the Kapowsin (pay to hunt, Timber Company) Area. He got a nice Blacktail Deer this year out of there.