Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Elk Hunting Trip in the Crapper >

Elk Hunting Trip in the Crapper

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Elk Hunting Trip in the Crapper

Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Hunting Trip in the Crapper

I spent almost 18 months planning and preparing. I purchased the Elk Tag, Deer Tag, and the muzzleloader authorization. I was supposed to get on the plane at 12:55 PM and arrive in Spokane, WA Friday (November 12, 2004) evening. I was supposed to be picked up on Saturday, travel to Kellogg, ID, and spend a week hunting trophy Elk and Mule Deer. The key word being “supposed.”

The guy who was going to meet me has had a family medical emergency, and will not be able to get away. I understand his predicament, but this is the second year in a row that my Idaho trip has been messed up. Last year I was supposed to come out, but my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and had emergency surgery. With the kids and all, I had to cancel because she was still recovering from the surgery. I figured, try again. Now the guy I’m supposed to meet up with has a family medical emergency.[:@] If God truly talks to people, is he/she trying to tell me something?

Anyway, you guys in ID, get the big one for me. In the mean time I eat another years worth of tag fees and airline tickets for not.[&o]
Old 11-10-2004, 05:09 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Trip in the Crapper

What's the problem ...pack your bags, get on the plane, rent a 4x4 SUV and drive to ID and hunt. Not as fun as going with a buddy but doing it yourself beats staying home.

I hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Man, I'm with jroot. It's paid for for get it done. Heck just being in the mountains for week is worth the trip.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I agreed! Spending all those $$ and prep for nothing. Just GO and enjoy!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

Dude, load your butt and your gear up and go! If it's paid for, what's the problem? Spend a few extra bucks, rent a truck, even a tent and other gear if needed, and get out in the mountains and hunt. You're already in the hole for the tickets and tags, what's a few more bucks. This would be a no-brainer for me. Hopefully if you're reading this, it's right before you head to the airport.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

If I had known three weeks ago, thinks might have been different, as I would have had time to prepare. A major change like this, 72 hours before you get on the plane, is just asking for trouble.

That’s the breaks. We learn from our mistakes, and my mistake was trusting someone else. Maybe I’ll be able to save enough to go again in another seven to ten years. I got a 12 year old now, (old enough to hunt in WI) and he wants to go with me all the time. I think that’s great, but it doubles the costs and may very well put any hunting, other than local, out of reach until he has a job of his own.

Thanks for all the support guys, but I decided NOT to go.

1. Auto Rental and all the extra stuff I would need added up to about $1,500 (Money I simply don’t have).

2. I don’t have any idea where to hunt other than in the Kellogg area.

3. If I actually did get something, it would be impossible for one (1) man to get it out.

4. There are just too many unknowns, and going it alone in a totally unknown, un-scouted wilderness violates one of the basic hunting safety rules (plan you hunt, hunt your plan).
Old 11-12-2004, 09:51 AM

Boneing out an elk and carrying it out is not an impossible task....did it for years. Too bad you didn't have enough time to try to contact someone on this thread that lived in that area. They may have been happy to meet you somewhere and make your trip a success. Hope you have a great hunting season right there in your own area now.....
Old 11-12-2004, 08:35 PM

I agree, get the word out and someone would have been more than happy to help you get settled in a good drainage. Spokane is only one hour by car from Kellogg. I grew up in Spokane and have spent many seasons in the idaho woods. LOTS OF GAME! BIG BULLS, too bad I didn't check this until just now. I would have put a call into a buddy that lives in kellogg. He is a huntin fool and knows where the big boys hang out. It is some steep country though I do agree with that. But man is it beautiful. I wouldn't have gone all the way to kellog though. I would have stopped just before it at Rose Lake and camped in the low lands just past the elk farm. Atleast you would be able to see animals every day. HE HE!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:58 AM

Tough breaks.
I hope you acted swiftly to get refunds on as many aspects of the trip as possible to minimize your losses.
Coming from afar with a minimum of knowledge and doing it on a shoestring, IMHO you were right to cancel your trip and apply the remaining capital towards "next time".

As a safety net, consider a summer trip out to visit your friend --- go stomp around where you will do the hunting (take and use your GPS). Check the cell phone coverages and find out who the local meat haulers are. Meet some of your friends elk hunting buddies if any. It may not be a complete "safety net" but is obviously more than you have now and you appear to be a "planning" kind of guy.

Good luck,
EKM
Old 12-05-2004, 08:37 PM

i have a feeling that next year is the year for alot of people who did really crappy this year like say....... me. Yeah I did go hunting in an unknown area and only knew one spot that was it and when that didnt go well, I didnt have a clue what to do next there was no plan B and the whole trip was botched. I mean I look back on it now and laugh my a$$ off and go what an IDIOT!!! but thats the way it is.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Trip in the Crapper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.