Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 how did your elk hunting go this year? >

how did your elk hunting go this year?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

how did your elk hunting go this year?

Old 12-15-2004, 10:16 PM

Default RE: how did your elk hunting go this year?

Dirt2--Congrats on your cow, I made up my mind i was going to take an elk this year horns or not, after having an empty freezer last year, well another dry year, Called in several bulls but the shot just was not there, except on one bull I thought-- except one little branch connected with my arrow. Seems the bulls are so cautious when coming in and seem just to know when to stop to protect their vitals (behind trees).I am already looking forward to the 05 season. If you don't have enough room for all your elk meat I have an empty freezer you could store some!
Old 12-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, I live and hunt in Montana.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:06 AM

Well it sounds like it was a good year for some and bad for some others. It sure sounds like it's been a bad couple of years for you robinhood. Better luck next year. elknut you are gonna have to show me where you go because your party seems to get way too many elk a year, sounds like they need thinned out . Dirt2 I must say I personally commend you for not taking the shot at that big bull if it's 5 yards out of your personal range, it would be a very very difficult thing to do, especially on an elk like that. idaho hunter 58 what part of the state are you from? Elkcrazy you definitely had one heck of a year sounds like you could take next year off and still have some meat in the freezer . Rich Baker that doesn't look too much like the elk I hunt, congrats on the hunt though.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi all
Only got to go deer this yr. Seen alot of them just no shooters. Even seen a cow elk in the area I hunt. New they were there, just never seen one there in 6yrs of huntin that unit. Congrats to all that tagged out. Oh yeah that is a awsome kitty Rich!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:27 PM

Mine didn't go worth a diddley damm! Not because the elk weren't there
but because I wasn't.
Can somebody tell me why in blazes we build pipelines in the winter?
You know not the summer when a body could enjoy working. But oooh no- we can't do that.
I not really gripping just making light of a bad part of a relly good job.
May be next year.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had them all around me but just could not get a shot at the bull I wanted. Two nice 6's and a 5. If I had a gun they would be in my freezer now. I had a cow with two calves come out and calves a mewing all afternoon. I didn't want no cow after seeing bulls almost every day. I also had a cow about 18 yds out. I was using her as a live decoy because she was making estrus calls quite a bit in the after noon and I kept thinking she would lure a bull my way, but the damn bulls would not respond to any calling and even a cow call would spook them off. It was the peak of the rut in sept., It was during a full moon and the damn bulls and herd would come so close to my truck at night I could hear the bulls snorten and gloaken and I could hear bulls all night long. Even though I didn't fill my tag I had the greastest time a person could have. Just wait till next year. Bobby