HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Rattlin' Blackies (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/76798-rattlin-blackies.html)

trapper T 10-22-2004 10:46 PM

Rattlin' Blackies

Any of you Coasties(my self included) ever rattle for Blacktail? Any luck? If so what's your technique?

I tried it last night with no luck but did hear something rustlin' the brush but it go dark on me. The big boys are starting to rip up the jack firs, so I figure the rut ain't too far off.

Thanks for the info! Good luck to those who still have a tag, and congrats to those who Don't:D;)

Rich Baker 10-24-2004 03:42 AM

RE: Rattlin' Blackies

I can't wait till the late bow season. I am hopeing to nail one this year

billythekidrock 11-03-2004 07:59 AM

After years of half-assed trying bleats/grunts/scents, I finally decided to try rattle.
I went and bought "earth" coverscent, two brands of doe urine, and Rattlin' Bag, I already had, The Can (bleat & heat) doe call, and a Grunt tube.

My partner and I were huntng over a clear cut bordered by reprod in Capitol Forest one evening last week. I started a sequence, waited ten minutes and did it again. While glassing I noticed a very large deer skirting the edge of the cut. I rattled again and the deer stopped and stared in my direction. At about 300 yards, in the dark timber I could tell this was a large deer. I called my partner over (I killed a three point earlier in the day) and he got set up in case a shot presented itself. The deer did not move for almost 4 minutes and we had ample time for glassing, but it was in the shadows and we could not positively make out antlers. As it turned to moved deeper into the timber we saw that it was a very large buck, at least 4 points on one side, but by then it was too late.

I think my lesson learned is better concealment and work in thick cover.

trapper T 11-03-2004 06:11 PM

Well I'm pretty new to calling deer, life long Blackie hunter for the most part, but after really getting into Turkey hunting and calling Elk durin M/L, I figured I'd give it a try, I went out four times in that spot I missed Ol' Mossyhorns but I never got much response, I did hear on two different nights them stirring back in the timber,but I think maybe they got call shy or something. I would only call about every ten minutes or so?

billythekidrock 11-04-2004 09:41 AM

I am also new to the rattling of blacktail, (I have been calling bears for a dozen years) but I would imagine that in a small area you might only want to call/rattle for a couple minutes, wait about 15 minutes and then do it again. But I wouldn't call/rattle more than twice.

It is possible that the bucks are call shy, maybe they winded you or saw you. Maybe you rattled too hard, maybe they just aren't into it.

I have learned with bears that it depends on the individual animal. Some will run in, others will hang back and growl and others will flat out run away.

buck slayer69 11-04-2004 11:53 AM

well now that season is over for a while, this advice might not be to good. but last year i tried rattlin a couple of times, but i'm not camoed enough, and they have smelled me. but both times, bucks have came in and thrashed there horns around. i would get some open timber where there are some fresh rubs, and have a lot of doe in heat scent. best of luck for the late season, they might still b ruttin. by buck was in the rut, but not all the way. and i saw about 25 the last weekend, and 1 buck. i thought that was strange. good luck

trapper T 11-05-2004 05:46 AM

Since both of you have had them come in here's another qeustion, how close to the RUt was it when it worked? They say it's a Pre-rut thing(sparring) and My freind watched some spar on opening weekend(Mod Rifle)

Was I too early? And on the scenting, I had a favorable wind all but one night and that night I had on just some regualr Blacktail pee...not the estrous stuff, that's coming off the shelf for Late buck;)

Rusty Shackleford 11-24-2004 03:06 PM

The season is just under way and I've seen a number of nice bucks wandering around the highway, the rut is on. I rattled over opening weekend and didn't have a thing come in. I went for a drive yesterday, covered about 50 mi of logging roads. In one spot we say 6 does within about 100 yds of each other at different times. It looks like I found a heck of a corridor but here's my problem; I know that deer will show up there if I just sit and wait but should I rattle and use scent, just use scent or just sit there and hope that bucks are following does through the same stretch? I'll be hunting it over the weekend so any input would be greatly appreciated.

trapper T 11-25-2004 10:21 AM

I'd at least use a scent, the times I did I didn't hear anything spook while tromping through the brush, and did a shot(Missed) at close range to an Old timer of a Buck[&:] THe couple previous times in there without scent they busted on me, also I try and use some doe bleats occasionally while walking in hopes to make them feel I'm just a clumsy deer wandering around I think that helped too. BUt if you got a corridor like that I may just use scents and sit. If the does ar roaming He'll be around there pretty close by....my 2 cents. Good luck.