Blacktail hunting help... >

Blacktail hunting help...

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Blacktail hunting help...

Old 10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Blacktail hunting help...

I would like to know if anyone used call(s) like the Truetalker and/or "the can" with blacktail. Are they responding to it? I've been hunting for 'bout five years and haven't shot any buck yet. I would like to try something new this weekend. It's rifle season. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Blacktail hunting help...

One time I was using a fawn in distress call and within seconds of calling I had a blacktail doe run 10 feet in front of me. I have heard that they sometimes bring in small bucks checking out whats going on. I kind of doubt any nice buck to come running in. Especially a blacktail buck. You never know, you could try a doe bleat. If your hunting the rifle season I would think that it would be less likely that any deer would check it out because of the pressure.
good luck,
Tyson
Old 10-18-2004, 02:45 AM

Truth be told in my experience hunting blacktails which has been my entire life I have seen very few calls work in the general modern firearm season. Once in a while a fawn in distress call will bring a young curious buck. A light grunt or a fawn in distress call will usually make a moving deer pause long enough for a shot. The Best advise I can give to you is this: On windy and rainy days glass three to four year old reprod its usually about head high but you can see in it if you find a vantage point. The deer will lay at the base of the trees on the alee side of a hill. You have to be relentless don't be afraid to stay in one spot all day. Most bucks will sooner let you step on them this time of year rather than move in the daylight. We took two bucks this weekend the first about a two year old two point and the second a mature four point. Both bucks were laying down and actually let us stalk within 75 yards and were shot right in thier beds. Be patient and go slow.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tip. It rained all day on the first day. Didn't see anything glassing w/bino on 3-5 years old clear cut. We'll see next time.