Could it Be? Early Winter in Northwest?`````` >

Could it Be? Early Winter in Northwest?``````

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Could it Be? Early Winter in Northwest?``````

Old 09-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Could it Be? Early Winter in Northwest?``````

4500' snow level this weekend, with lots of moisture(unless you're comparing it to Ivans) headed this way!!! KOOL!! First freezing temp of the season at the Snotel site at sheep springs (Colockum) Wa.
Looking at this weekends weather conditions, they are very similar to what we usually have in late Oct./early Nov. for the eastside M/R elk season. I for one, would like to not see a warm []dry October into November this year for a change.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could it Be? Early Winter in Northwest?``````

Well, I know that Utah is expecting some upper level snows here pretty quick. Supposed to drop to below 30 here in the next couple of days here in Central Nevada. If it does snow a little and hold the temp, I may get a good chance at a decent deer during the early season in 7 years of hunting!!
Old 09-18-2004, 04:58 PM

I was in the Coluckum yesterdayand it was freezing rain/sleeting on us. I was glad for the cold cause the 3 foot rattler I almost stepped on was moving to slow to react quicly to me or the load of 7 1/2's I put into him.

The snow that I assume fell last night may move some deer lower for the rest of the High buck season too.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Bldhound and I got snowed on just up from Stampede Pass this morning at about 4500 feet. It was sticking on a ridge above us that was at 5000 feet. That was the first time I've been snowed on during early archery elk season. It snowed up there last year about this time, too, but I wasn't up there. They were moving like crazy this morning. We cut fresh tracks everywhere. I left Bldhound up there with our campmates to put the hurt on a bull they bedded this morning. I hope he comes home with meat and a great story.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

How high and where were you yesterday Scottr??
Since you encountered the rattler I woud guess you were in the 3000'-4000' range which
is about the area I have always run into those critters.
Thanks for the report!
Sounds good Slee. I sure would love to have a season with the weather we had many years ago when my Dad was stilll with us and we woud encounter snow on Snoqualmie pass on M/R deer general opener (Dating myself there) and almost every year have snow onthe ground when we set up elk camp- Now that's when the seson started a week later but..........
Old 09-19-2004, 09:26 AM

I was helping at a game check station last night and we had a few groups that had been up in the high hunt area come out. They said they got up to 8" of snow so desided to pull out.
Feels more like late Oct then Sept. The upper peaks are snow covered from what I can see.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:44 PM

Summit

We were at about 4000 ft. The rattler encounter was actually in the Quilomene but right near the border with the Colockum. We were following up on some blues that flushed to the trees when I encounted the snake on the edge of the forest.

Where the snow hit was us higher up by the power lines on the top of the pass in the Colockum.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:04 PM

Slee I have a story but not any meat or pics! It was still awesome up there, it snowed until about 5:30, it didnt stick where we were at but looking back at the higher mountains it had a hardcore chalk line on them.

A hiker guy came down the PCT that was a very cool thing because.....................he stopped & talked for a minute or two real polite wanted to see the huge bear we were trying to gig. He started out in Mexico on the PCT 4 months ago & had a couple of more weeks to go till he reached the end.....................man what dedication to his love of hiking. Must be nice to be able to take off 5 months or so to do a trek & still be young enough to enjoy it.

The idiots in the jeep drove right through where the 5X5 bull was bedded down, they drove within 40 yds of him. Lee & I went in there with a buggle or two later & heard some comotion then realized the wind was wrong & backed out. They were going back in there this morning.

The reason I wasnt there was I came down with a MAJOR MIGRAINE took my meds at the last minute & it was all I could do to make it home. It was so bad that I had to stop at the bottom of the mountain for a bit, I need to talk to you or your wife about that, I was scared.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it Snowed here in Nevada this morning, the whole Northeastern part of the state, down to about 5000 feet or so, some 3"+ in the higher elevations of the mountains. I hope it holds out until October so I can hunt in the snow!!
Old 09-20-2004, 04:18 PM

We got about 3 inches of snow this morning! the fall is just going to fade away without ever getting here! Oh well, it will make my buck tag easier to fill!

Quick Reply: Could it Be? Early Winter in Northwest?``````

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.