Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Elk, where to shoot them and will this work? >

Elk, where to shoot them and will this work?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Elk, where to shoot them and will this work?

Old 08-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Elk, where to shoot them and will this work?

Im heading out elk hunting this year and while Im bringing my 06, I plan to carry my 7mm08 as my primary weapon. Ive got a bunch of Barnes 140gr XLCs l(2,950fps) loaded up and ready to go. My question is, where to shoot elk with this round. I normally shoot deer right in the shoulder to break them down and anchor them to the spot. However after butchering my buddys elk a couple of years ago, I can tell you that elk aint no deer. There shoulder bones are heavy and thick. Can I punch through to the vitals with the above load, how about with 180gr XLCs (2975) out of my 06? Or is it best just to put the round thru the lungs and forget about trying to knock them down. Where Im hunting in Idaho is steep and rugged, and Id rather not have them go very far if anywhere, hence my question.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:36 PM

Default RE: Elk, where to shoot them and will this work?

I'd go right behind the shoulder, aim for the crease of their"armpit" put her there and you got the entire boiler room prepare for a quick follow up shot because a lot of those Elk don't go sdown with the first hit. If your really close though and capable I'd opt for a good neck shot to stop him where he stands.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:00 PM

While either of those caliber bullet combinations is a good combo for elk.
Recommend you use the 30-06 since you have it available. Both of the caliber-bullet combinations you asked about will penetrate through an elks shoulder.

Make every effort to shoot so you get both lungs.
If you just bust a shoulder an elk can run for a VERY long ways, if you just get one lung, an elk can run for a long ways as well. One shoulder and one lung, he will still do some travelling.
Wait till you get the broadside double lung shot if at all possible and the elk should fall withing 100 yards.

If you happen to shoot a tad high you may get the backbone and he will go down NOW and if you shoot a tad low you may get the heart and again he could go 100 yards or so.
Both the combinations you asked about will penetrate through an elks shoulder.

Neck shots are very risky cause that backbone is a small target, if you are a very good shot and the conditions are right, solid rest etc: maybe.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:47 PM

Shoot 'em in their bed!!!!! They won't go far. Seriously though, depending on how it all goes down, it is going to depend on what shot(s) you get presented. I don't know what part of Idaho you are hunting, but I have hunted in the Panhandle, Central Idaho, SW Idaho and it is different but the same. I shot a cow in the Panhandle a few years ago, 7mm 160 grain core lok, going for the lungs, hit the the shoulder, basically only had 3 working legs left. A big nasty hill saved me, she couldn't get up it on 3 legs, and kept rolling back down. So going for a lung\heart shot is the best, that shoulder is tough and those animals can still go along ways on 3 legs. I still shoot a 160 grain bullet for deer and elk and use the NPs. 140gr is too light for elk in my caliber, I don't know about the .08. I hunt with buddy who uses the 30.06 and shoots 180 grain, and it puts them down.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:48 PM

Shoot them in the balls !!!! I know if i was hit in the balls I would go down is a second.

Go for the heat lung and dont piss around. With a hole through the lungs as stated above they wont go far.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Recommend you use the 30-06 since you have it available
Thats cause you havent carried my 06 around, man is that thing heavy LOL. I mmay work on making it lighter. Nothing like having to much gun.

Ill be hunting the selway bitteroot wilderness, Unit 17.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:21 AM

given the two bullets and cals shoot what you shoot best and most accurate. The 06 will perform better down range, but there is no excuse for a good shot. I saw a guy pop a bull elk with a 25-06 with a 116gr bullet at 325 yrds. light for elk in my opinion but the gun flatened that elk on the spot, turning the lungs to mush!, bullet did not come out and it was a good shot. however if he would have clipped a shoulder things may have went bad. the only gun I have used on elk is a 54 cal bp. and the rule here is to blow through both lungs take away his air and about 5 mins tops with collapsed lungs and you have a dead elk. I double lunged a bull with a soft hollow point that never came out and the bull took 25 mins. to die. bullet laid under hide on other side.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

quote,
Shoot them in the balls !!!! I know if i was hit in the balls I would go down is a second.

LMAO
Old 08-27-2004, 05:14 AM

My uncle once did take a running shot at a buck, he shot, the buck stopped and turned broadside and stood there. Next shot finished the job. As he went to start the feild dressing he noticed that his first shot cleanly took off the end of his..umm..well...Winky Guess the buck figured he had no use to carry on so he stopped and let himslef be taken...
Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 PM

Go for the heat lung and dont piss around. With a hole through the lungs as stated above they wont go far.
speaking from a experience standpoint muzz?[8D]

Quick Reply: Elk, where to shoot them and will this work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.