HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   need info on Grays Harbor wild pig hunt... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/69591-need-info-grays-harbor-wild-pig-hunt.html)

djy 08-19-2004 08:37 AM

need info on Grays Harbor wild pig hunt...

I couldn't find much info on the net but did see a small article in the paper last year. The pigs are going wild and eating everything, vegitation, other animals. It said to use 50lb bag of feed and 1/2 cup of diesle fuel, mixed well. The pigs like the fuel and the bears and deer won't touch it. Is it legal to bait pigs? Are they considered like coyotes, no bag limit, night hunting ok? Any info would be great. And is there a lot of places to hunt in Grays Harbor? Thank you much.

yajsab 08-19-2004 01:16 PM

RE: need info on Grays Harbor wild pig hunt...

I've been looking for a place to hunt this creature. Mostly private land. So no luck yet. As far as I know, no bag limit and no license required. Baiting and night hunting - I'm not sure. I don't think it is legal 'cause we can't bait and hunt at night in WA. Good luck!

slee 08-19-2004 04:18 PM

Not to be a smartbutt, but if you find wild pigs in the Grays Harbor area you'll be in the minority. I have my doubts whether there are ANY wild pigs over there. Ask around. I think that story was started as a rumor, and the WDFW hasn't done anything to stop it from spreading. Take it from a Mississippi boy, if you have wild pigs in an area, there is no problem telling exactly where they have been. Nothing is left standing where they've been feeding because they root everything up, and nothing will grow back in those spots. I've asked several people that deer and elk hunt over there, and nobody has ever seen them. As far as putting diesel fuel out, I'd have to say that is an environmental no-no. Plus it would be toxic to animals, I would think pigs included. Baiting is perfectly legal in WA, except for bear. As far as night hunting, you do for coyotes but I wouldn't for pigs. Not sure that I'd want to anyway in that thick stuff. And since pigs are a non-native species, there is no license requirement and no bag limit. Have fun, and keep us posted if you find out any reliable info. I'd love to do it myself if there is any truth to it.

trapper T 08-19-2004 08:51 PM

I'd try up the Wynoochee valley, and not to step on your toes Slee, but I have been on their trail up that way, tracks an scat and rooting areas. They are up in the logging land up towards the dam, but it's a good hike(4-6) miles up past the gates. My Cousin's wife teaches in Monte. and she hears from her students about hunting them all up through that valley.

As of last I heard , they are Feral hogs that are not wanted by the WDFW to be in the wild, there's no bag limit, no season, and as far as I would guess you should be able to bait them and possibly even hnt at night. Baiting is only illegal for bear and big game, these pigs are a nuisance and the WDFW wants them gone ...period. Night huntin I beleive is also legal, just not during any of the big game seasons, especially Modern. But I'd still ask the WDFW for clarifications.

slee 08-20-2004 12:52 AM

No problem Trapper. My toes are tough.;) I made a ton of phone calls about a year ago, and as I said talked to several guys who hunt that area. I would like to clarify something though. You can bait big game(deer and elk). There is nothing in the books, unless they added it this last time without saying anything. They brought it up about 2 years ago, but they never followed through. The only bait that's mentioned in the game regs is for bear.

Have 2 Hunt 08-22-2004 02:16 PM

I found a group of about 6 pigs afew years ago up in the middle of nowhere in Grays Harbor. It was a couple of years before the Game Department made their first announcement. So we figured we would try to take them alive, it seemed like a good idea at the time. We went for a 100# boar first. It had some pretty good tusks and it was even money for awhile. We found if you run them for awhile they wear down pretty quick. When we got it tired then we roped it, that's where it got real interesting. We did manage to get it and drag it into a crate though. We went back several times over the next few weeks and managed to get two more, a smaller sow and a piglet. We gave the sow away and they latter ate it and said it was good. the Boar escaped and has only been seen once since. The piglet escaped but I was able to recapture it and gave it away. If I can find a picture I will post it. I have been back several times since the Game Department said to shoot them and hav'nt seen another one. I have heard of a couple being shot though. I think they got shot up pretty fast after it hit the pappers.