Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Ak. moose hunting questions >

Ak. moose hunting questions

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Ak. moose hunting questions

Old 08-17-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Ak. moose hunting questions

Last year my husband went moose hunting for the first time and in good fortune, brought home a moose.
Moose hunting is almost upon us (very short season) and I was wondering if y'all had any tips to offer? Helpful information regarding moose habits/behavior?
A website/book worth recommending?

We're located down here in the S.E. rain forest where it's more "hilly" and full of trees & thick underbrush. Finding where they hang out isn't the easiest to do, considering. Not to mention that if you are lucky enough to find & take one down...don't want to be too far from your rig-that's alot of hefty packin'!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ak. moose hunting questions

hope for cooler weather, and learn to call both cow and bull calls when they get into the rut calling is very helpful
Old 08-18-2004, 12:21 AM

Thank you aknimrod for the suggestions. As for cooler weather...this summer has been warmer & dryer than usual.
In fact, we are on water restrictions as we are running low. While out glassing last weekend with my husband, I heard a creek down below our look-out but didn't see much for water coming down the mountains, not like I usually do. I am wondering if they have migrated towards a larger water source.

By any chance, would you have a general idea as to their movement, as in how far they may travel daily?
I suspect this is going to be a tough season!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

BIOLOGIST WOULD KNOW MORE ABOUT MOVEMENT, MY GUESS IS LESS THAN A MILE IF NOT HARRASSED. I KNOW A RADIO COLLARED BULL MOVED 75 MILES BETWEEN SUMMER AND WINTER RANGE.
WITH THE HEAT THE RUT WILL BE AFFECTED BUT THEY WILL BE NEAR WATER.. THERE IS A FIRE NEAR MY PERMIT AREA BUT THAT IS OVER A MONTH AWAY SO HOPEFULLY THE RAIN LAST NIGHT HELPED AND IT WILL NOT GET INTO MY AREA ,- PAT
Old 08-22-2004, 02:58 PM

I KNOW A RADIO COLLARED BULL MOVED 75 MILES BETWEEN SUMMER AND WINTER RANGE.
Ours could do that...if they go in circles (living on an island)

THERE IS A FIRE NEAR MY PERMIT AREA BUT THAT IS OVER A MONTH AWAY SO HOPEFULLY THE RAIN LAST NIGHT HELPED AND IT WILL NOT GET INTO MY AREA ,- PAT
I think we got some of the smoke down here, too. For quite a time, there had been a haze. Though these last few days have been clearer than the past.

I should think if their food source is gone, that they won't be apt to travel through?

I'll tell you what- while I pray for a successful hunt for my husband, this moose season...I'll include you within

Good luck Pat...the season is almost upon us!
Old 08-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been out scouting nitely now for the past few weeks.

One thing I've noticed more and more is mid day dips, and early evening dips. Meaning where we found decent water (not to nasty), we found moose, including 5 bulls. We'd see them at 1 or 2 in the afternoon as much as we saw them in the evenings.

Same thing tonight, went for a drive and did some grayling fishing, every moose we saw was standing IN water.

As far as movment, well we've had a client video moose that another client in a camp passed on 30 miles away. I believe it was 2 days difference. When they start going and there mind is made up, it can be pretty amazing how fast they go. Early season I wouldnt expect much movement at all.

There is still plenty of food, however I think the better higher quality food right now is going to be either in or on the edge of water sources.

Btw, saw one of the fires burning tonite. Pretty awesome site to behold.