HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Wyoming's Antelope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/69569-wyomings-antelope.html)

lemond33 08-18-2004 11:16 PM

Wyoming's Antelope

i live in pa and i am thinking about an archery goat hunt. is this the right state to do it in??? cost of license??? who is a good outfitter??? been reading about Doug Miller??

j3k2c1 08-19-2004 07:58 PM

RE: Wyoming's Antelope

Wyoming is definately the state to do it in cheaply. A do it yourself hunt is still 80-90% successful---with a rifle. I don't know about bow hunting though... license for a buck is around $220.

Carpmaster 08-19-2004 08:04 PM

I am from michigan and ventured out to wyoming for goats in 2001, i got mine with a rifle but i felt that with some patience it could very well have been done with bow. last i knew it was 220 for the tags all said and done. good luck

manboy 08-23-2004 05:41 PM

[:-] I don't like to pay an outfitter at all! I live in wy. been here all my life, well close! If you need to have some help with a goat here it is. I am a outdoor lover, i can see goats just out my window! Here is the area to put in for 7 for a easy hunt. Lots of public land, have a guy from wis. coming out every year from mid 80's. Filled tags always their are some very high end areas, for big goats. If you want these areas just e-mail me! I got a tag this year already have a goat picked out, only 15" but really heavy i think i can get him with a bow. I will put some pic. on later. :)

BowElkFreak 09-03-2004 03:51 PM

I grew up my entire life in Wyoming, now live in Utah, but still go back to hunt with my family. We used to joke around that hunting rabbits was harder than antelope! I think you could easily take one with a bow. The best bow tactics I've used out here (because it's flat and rolling sage brush) is to sit on water holes.

The beauty of Wyoming is you can hunt both weapons (if you have the time). You can even arrange it to piggy back your time out here to piggy back the hunts -- end of archery, next day, pack a rifle. That way if you don't have success with the bow, you just shoot one the next day! :D

With a little bit of time you can easily take a good 14-15 inch buck and might even bump into a bigger one. They are very fun to hunt.

If you ever look into SW Wyoming, email me. I know of many awesome units that produce some of the biggest bucks in the state, plenty of public land and places to go.

P.S. forget a guide and/or Doug Miller (utah guy, who is lucky enough to have a job hunting/fishing for a living and it gets put on as news)

packrat67 12-22-2004 08:55 AM

hey buddy

i just read your post today and im looking at putting togather a antelope hunt for this coming year
i definetly do not want nor can i afford a guided hunt
but i am having trouble finding the information i need to make a informed decision on where to apply and what kind of public land is available?

anything you could fill me in on would be greatly appreciated

thanks
and good hunting
randy from ohio

packrat67 12-22-2004 08:57 AM

hey this is packrat 67 again
if you could please email me at [email protected]

DUCKSTAMPEDE 12-22-2004 10:17 AM

Go and hunt bow for a period of 5 days-it will take that long to figure out the terrain and how to do it but I did it three years ago-then stay the next day and take a second with a rifle-talk about fun!! and the eating is pretty tasty too!!