Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Bumping Cow Tags, >

Bumping Cow Tags,

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Bumping Cow Tags,

Old 07-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Default RE: Bumping Cow Tags,

Mark- Thanks for the info. I will look at it on the map. How for down from goose praire? What is the terrain like?
THanks
Dave
Old 07-28-2004, 04:59 PM

Elk101,

Oh heck, I can't believe that I could not have figured that out! Dang I feel dumb.

I'm a 206er, more specifically I'm a 253er. Gig Harbor area.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 07-28-2004, 05:49 PM

Are you a 206er or a 509er? I am a 206er.
Unfortunately I'm a 206'er,but more and more I hunt 509 side, except for Elk, typically I'd rather have the chance at a decnet Bull but this year I'm 509'in it with a Smokepole in hopes of getting meat...period.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:07 PM

Me I am a 425er, but have always hunted in the Yakima area's. Gig Harbor huh? Do you get any nice king runs down there? I just landed a 35lber last sunday. It was sooooooooo nice almost made me quite thinking about Elk hunting for a moment.

Good Luck in the Nile. Maybe we can meet at whistlin Jacks for a cold one.

Dave
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 PM

Trapper where do you hunt on the west side? I have heard lots of good things from this side of the state. I actually moved over here about 3 years ago from Spokane and haven't found anyone to hunt with that knows the area's over here. I would sure love to get the chance to hunt this side. I hear it is dense and thick out on the pennisula. Is that where you go?

Dave
Old 07-29-2004, 11:32 AM

Dave,

Sounds good. If you see a big ole jacked up 1970 light blue F250 4x4 with a black shell on it, it will be me. As I only get 8mpg I have to stop there regular like.

The first few years after I moved here from AL I hunted modern rifle for elk on the 206 side down around Mossy Rock. It almost broke me from hunting. I should have received Combat pay or at least hazardous duty pay. I have never seen so many folks in the woods at one time. All day long you could hear folks blasting away. On top of that we got soaking wet every single day and never saw a single elk!

I have never tried over on the Olympic Pen. Might just have to give it a try someday.

Oh yea, Not to much happening as far as fishing goes.

Do ya do any varmint hunting? I would like to find a nice spot for that.

Take care,
Lee
Old 07-29-2004, 11:33 AM

Trapper T,

I'm with you,.........I want to put some meat on the ground!!!

Lee
Old 07-29-2004, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ELK101

Trapper where do you hunt on the west side? I have heard lots of good things from this side of the state. I actually moved over here about 3 years ago from Spokane and haven't found anyone to hunt with that knows the area's over here. I would sure love to get the chance to hunt this side. I hear it is dense and thick out on the pennisula. Is that where you go?

Dave
I kind of go all over... I'm a born and raised 206er but I tend to hunt MossyRcok, Pe Ell, toward the coast it is brushy and the Elk over there(Roosevelt) get a lot bigger body wise than a Rocky. But these days with transplants and stuff I'm sure the Rocky's we got are gettin cross bred. Elk wise I'd stay away from the Nothern areas (Bellingham/ Everett) up that way, not many elk due to over kill by the tribes.

I even tend to hunt a lot on the western sides of the cascades too from bascially I90 south you should run into elk. Like I was sayin' Im huntin east side this year but next year I'm huntin' back on this side if I muzzleloader for them so who knows I may need a partner
Old 07-30-2004, 11:14 AM

Trapper T- I have mixed feelings for the east side. I have been selected again for a meat tag "Bumping cow". However, it has limited access with it being a wilderness area. Have you ever been to the southeast corner of the bumping? Someone suggested Soup creek. Know anything about it?
This Spike only rule is for the birds, if I wasn't selected for a cow or branched antler I would probably not go over. If you can shoot a 3 point or better on this side I am definately putting in for this side next year. I look forward to scouting out the penisula next year. I met a guy when I was in Cabo San Lucas Mexico last year that was from Pe Ell, he was a logger and said there are soooooo many animals over there. I could give him a call to see if he would point me in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:56 PM

No I'm not familar with that area, we usually camp up on the river just below Goose Prarie, right near that field you're talking about.

As far as Eastside Elk, I hate it, I think spike only hunting is a bad way to manage a herd, and I think it is only being done to benefit the pocketbooks of the WDFW. Ever notice there at Whistlin' Jack's that the pictures of Elk taken are rarely of a spike? They get that extra $5 a whack from us to enter and those outfitter I doubt are going after many spikes either. They probably get special draw big bull tags[:'(]

IF you read the different local hunting magazines even the WDFW in articles will tell you that for growing a herd of Derr/Elk that branch antlered resrtictions are better, yet the refuse to deal with that issue concerning Eastern WA.[:'(]

The only reason I'm going over there this year is,My Dad and I got Muzzleloaders and My Unlce has a herd He knows about over there, in an "Any Elk" GMU. Although I like the prospects of taking a nice bull, I also hnt more for the meat thatn the trophy so I'd never pass up a Cow if I can get to one I generally hunt on the West side for that or I'll go to an Any Elk area.