Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Bumping Cow Tags, >

Bumping Cow Tags,

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Bumping Cow Tags,

Old 07-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Bumping Cow Tags,

Just wondering if anyone else was drawn for a bumping cow tag, I put in solo figuring my odds are better. Not sure if the bumping is the place to be that early in the season. I know of a local heard that is on bumping lake rd, does anyone know if that is a local heard or are they on a migratory route to the feed stations?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 PM

Default RE: Bumping Cow Tags,

Did I state the obvious in the question about a local heard on Bumping lake road? I am actually wondering if anyone else has seen them about half way down between goose praire and the turn off from hwy 410? Does anyone have another area where they would start as a general scouting point? Is that a pack service at the beggining of Bumping lake incase you get something down back in the wilderness area? Any comments would be helpful and much appreciated.

ps, anyone slaying fish in the sound anywhere? I live up by the Tulalip Bubble and it is just starting to get hot for the kings.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:05 AM

ELK101,

I have ML hunted the Bumping the last 3 yrs. Never was luckly enough to have been drawn for Big bulls or cows so all we could shot were spikes. Never have harvested there as we never saw any spikes.

We always camped about 8 miles down the Bumping road next to the river. Except for last year we always saw cows and an occasional Bull. Last year sucked as we did not see much of anything. In fact everyone we spoke with said the same.

That Pack service you mentioned is a Guided hunt outfit. If you see 2 older fellas running the roads and one of them has an Elk call made out of a blue plastic child's baseball bat that's them. They must know what their doing as they always have pictures in Whistling Jacks every year.

We are going to try the Nile this year as we drew cow tags there.

Good luck,
Lee
Old 07-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Lee- Thanks for your input, I have hunted the Bumping before but never with a cow tag. It should be interesting. I hunted the nile last year with a cow tag and was not succesful, however; I didn't see many animals at all. It was a very dry year and only made it over once for a pre season scout.

When you hunted the Bumping did you stay right on bumping lake rd next to the river? I use to see alot of animals right in that area about 2 miles before getting into goose praire. Do you know the name of the guiding outfit down there?

Better luck in the Nile than I had-

Dave
Old 07-26-2004, 05:50 PM

ELk101,

Yes, that sounds like the spot we camp. Right near a small field next to the river.

We hunted alittle around camp but most of the time we went back out to 410 and took a left for about 8 miles and hunted on other side of American river. You have to find a fallen tree though to cross it.

I can't for the life of me remember that Guide's name.

Good luck,
Lee
Old 07-26-2004, 06:58 PM

Boy where you guys are talkin' about I usually always see them right there, I usually camp up that way for Labor day. Right when archery starts, they usually seem to be close to either River(Bumping or American) I think they come down off the southern ridges at daybreak or nightfall for water? Good luck to ya both.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:01 AM

Lee- I have hunted on the south side of the American River and I crossed at hells crossing. There is a bridge to cross there. Usually it is tore up back there about 2 miles in. I am hunting alone this year so will want to stay relatively with in easy pack out areas to roads.

On the other hand, I have hunted all around that meadow on bumping road. There is usually a small heard in there in the evening. It seems if my memory serves me correctly there is also a well used salt lick about half way up that ridge. Very well used by a local heard.

Are you a 206er or a 509er? I am a 206er.

And you Trapper?

Thanks for the replies
Old 07-27-2004, 06:17 PM

Quote: Are you a 206er or a 509er? I am a 206er.

Well, I think I am a dummy as I don't recognize what yer asking. Please 'splain it to me.
206?
509?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 07-27-2004, 10:44 PM

[quote]Quote: Are you a 206er or a 509er? I am a 206er.

Do you live on the East side of the cascades or on the west side? Hence the area codes 509 or 206? Way back when they only had a couple of area codes for the west side and it was predominantly 206.

Have you started scouting for this year in the Nile? If you are intereseted, I will look at my maps and give you a decent heading. Lots of people up there last year though.
I think it was up the 1709 and then left on the 1706, not sure though. I will right back tomarrow. Lots of clear cuts up in that area.

Good Luck
Old 07-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Bumping Cow Tags,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.