Can you carry a back up pistol when archery hunting in Colorado >

Can you carry a back up pistol when archery hunting in Colorado

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Can you carry a back up pistol when archery hunting in Colorado

Old 06-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why I'd want to carry a pistol if archery hunting

One way to have regs clarified would be to go to county game commission meetings, or something as simple as talking with the local game wardens or DOW office.

I understand what you mean completely. I just wish regulations were clearer, as not to create any questions.

This year, Nevada had to adjust the archery and ML regs because of the new sights that have been coming out for bows, and with the new smokeless powder ml's, etc. They try to keep everything as clear as possible, which does make me happy, less reading I have to do. lol
Old 06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why I'd want to carry a pistol if archery hunting

here in california our law says that you can have a rifle in your vehicle with the magazine loaded but not a round in the chamber, so I asked the local game cop if it was the same for pistols, he said absolutely not, then I called sacremento to the fish and game main office and their reply was, as long as you do not have a round in position to be fired its o.k., then I related this to the game cop and he said #@&% I wish they would tell me whats going on! moral of the story is get it in writing, otherwise you may run into a cop with a different view and even if you are right and prevail it won't be worth the hassle, lifes too short!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can you carry a back up pistol when archery hunting in Colorado

Good point USA! I have actually "tested" the game wardens a couple of times by asking them about a not so obvious regulation, and then get home, and check the regs, and there it is plain as day, exactly oposite!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 PM

well you can carry a handgun while bow hunting, it can not be concealed. but expect to get grilled by the officer that checks you in the field. tell him your using it for small game, better have a small game license. tell him your using it for backup, might not set well. you can't finish a bow kill with a bullet. if you have a bow kill and a handgun, you might be taking a trip back to the kill and have to show no bullet holes in the hide, head, or ribs. if you kill a bear or cat and claim self defense, your most likely going back to the scene of the kill to demonstrate to the officer.
I got this from an officer during dow volunteer training a month or so ago. we have information on the dow website on dealing with bear and cat encounters that lets you and the bear/cat walk away no problems. to be honest, bad bear encounters are almost null, they would just as soon avoid us. bad cat encounters, while few, can be handled without shooting. plus that sidearm is alot of extra weight at the end of the day and rubs your hip while climbing ridges. you won't want it the second day.

good luck on your hunt.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Dont know about Co, but in Oregon they just changed the laws for the Bowhunters
so they COULD carry a back up pistol. Something about Big Kitty Cats were scaring
the stick flingers.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:38 PM

QUESTION.. if you carry a Handgun during archery and you do not shoot the pistol while archery .. Are you breaking any laws??? i would like to think that you are not but i am
no game warden in colorado..lol
Old 06-11-2004, 07:06 AM

I acually called the dow about carrying a back-up during rifle season last year in colorado. They told me that you can carry a back-up if it is not concealled. I'm not sure how you would carry a back-up in plain sight in november with all the clothes that you have to have on unless you strap it to your leg. My solution was to get a ccw. I don't know if that applies to archery season or not?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know some archery hunters here in Arizona that say heck with law and carry a back up 44mag anyway just incase while deer hunting a mountain lion decides to climb up their tree. I have absolutely no problem with someone carrying a pistol while bow hunting . Just dont get caught oh and don't hunt with it and then try to say you shot it with your bow. Just keep it on ya for protection purposes
Old 08-11-2004, 11:28 PM

I only live a short distance from their headquarters here in Denver, and I can't get good info from them on some things. They have great people at the desks over there, but the clowns that write the regs leave a lot to be desired. Their published restrictions on prairie dog shooting is really a joke, but they won't change it even though they acknowledge it's wrong.
You might try writing or emailing them to get a written or email response to clarify the issue. Anything you hear here is worth exactly what you paid for it. Good luck.