HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Where in Idaho? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/48363-where-idaho.html)

Elkcrazy8 01-12-2004 08:41 PM

RE: Where in Idaho?

Elknut,
I am from Bosie. I hunt all over the state, even been up your way. You might have seen one of my gutpiles laying around. I took the stem off the apple like F&G told me too, so it wasn't a cow. Anyway. Nice to see all of the hunters from Idaho. See ya in the woods. P.S. I'm the one with the funny hat.

mattisbob 01-13-2004 07:57 PM

i live in sandpoint lots of anties up here

elknut1 01-13-2004 09:18 PM

Elkcrazy8

That's not far from McCall, can't say as I've seen anyones gutpile lately.[8D]
Do you normally hunt closer to the Boise area? We generally hunt the McCall zone. It's all some big country, pretty easy to escape the crowds.

Funny hat ha! What's it look like? elknut1

noway 01-14-2004 12:00 PM

Hey elk freak99,
I live in Boise.
I was raised in Cd'A so have spent a lot of time up North.

I drive by Elknuts camp on the way to where I hunt up on the Salmon.
You guys should check out his site, he has some cool stuff on there.

Elknut on the subject of wolves when we were packing out our two bulls the second day of the season we could hear the wolves howling for about half an hour further up the canyon from where we were.
Also had one set of tracks about 40 yards from our camp opening morning.
The second day of the season walking in the trail in the dark we were following two sets of fresh wolf tracks going in on the same trail for about 200 yards then they dropped off into the canyon in the same direction where we heard them howling later. Sounded like a large pack howling.

elknut1 01-14-2004 09:30 PM

noway

That's amazing! I've been in areas where wolves were around, seen their tracks, but never to the extent you have, I believe that's a good thing:) Hard to appreciate how gutsy those things can be, being near your tent and all.

Well I'm glad to hear you had no trouble with your meat and all. Just the same, a little to close for comfort. elknut1

p.s.--stop by camp this year, you're welcome anytime. Paul

Elkcrazy8 01-18-2004 05:45 PM

Elknut, I think them wolves may have had a snack on them gutpiles before you found them, as for the hat, my buddies call it my buckaroo bob hat. It was a really nice oilskin before I started using it for a pillow, seat, sunshade, etc. Don't know where I would be without it. I have hunted by the McCall area a little but prefer to hunt further south. We haven't seen another sole for the past 4 years. Last year we had 3 bow kills and 3 rifle kills, The year before that we had 3 bow kills and 2 rifle kills. I met some friends from NY in the northern part of Idaho. We had 3 rifle kills up there. I got mine the first week both years and didn't know when to quit when it came to packing meat out. Some people think that I am nuts but I live for the whole hunt and the close ties that come between elk hunting partners. As you well know things can get pretty hairy in the high country. Nice to hear from you.

elknut1 01-19-2004 02:57 PM

Elkcrazy8

Nice work on the elk!!!!!!! I'll look for the hat in future hunts[8D] Luck to you. elknut1

Moose Creek 01-24-2004 11:06 PM

Howdy all. I'm not from Idaho anymore but wanted to pipe up about the wolf thing. I used to guide in unit 17, Moose Creek drainage. My last year there was in 92. We started seeing wolf tracks then. My boss and a forest service employee saw wolves at two different times then. I talked to a friend in Orofino last month because I was going to come back out next year to hunt. He and another guiding buddy of mine went back in Nov. and all they saw was wolf tracks. They rode ten miles down Moose Creek and only saw 4 deer. This was in the prime of the rut. We used to see 20 or 30 in the meadow outside of camp of a morning. I don't know whats going on out there but I hope somebody gets a grip on it before your hunting spots end up like ours. Hunt hard and safe.

elknut1 01-25-2004 08:06 AM

Moose Creek

Welcome to the site!!!! The wolves are playing havoc all over Idaho, I hunt a lot of 19a' 24, 25 and the wolves are all through these areas as well, next thing you know they'll be more wolves than elk. Thanks for joining in. elknut1

Moose Creek 01-25-2004 11:55 AM

Elknut
Glad to be welcome here. Not much talk of elk here in Illinois. I visit the chat room once in a while but not much talk of hunting at all in there. I'm coming out and hunting 10a this year. Going to try it with a bow this time. I visited your site and will be ordering some stuff. Its hard to find reeds anymore. Most of the big outfits (Cabelas and such) just carry Carlton tubs and all these new style calls. I just can't seem to get away from the good old way. If anyone has any advice on 10a it would be welcomed.Thanks again.