Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 New Mexico info >

New Mexico info

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New Mexico info

Old 02-02-2004, 02:30 PM

Default RE: New Mexico info

[8D]Proclamation and NM game web site has that information on it. Many great opportunities in the state. Are you after Elk or Deer? I just returned from my Once in a Lifetime Oryx hunt. Harvested a nice bull. have picture posted on big game forum.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:03 PM

I am here in Albuquerque as well. I moved here 2-years ago from AZ. There is alot of area to hunt, just a matter of driving and learning the areas. Give me an email if you want someone to hunt with. Mostly a bow hunter for big game, but rifle for predators and I have shotguns. AZ is loaded with quail! [email protected]
Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 PM

dperry, I just applied for my Oryx hunts. How does the whole thing work on the miliatary base? My understanding is you have to go with an excort/guide. How does that work if the season is just two days and there are 30 or so permits? Do they tell you to "shoot that one"? Do you draw straws witht he other thirty guys to see who goes where and during which hour period?

LVreeves, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.

JH
Old 02-10-2004, 08:01 AM

shot high,

On the Oryx hunt if you put in for the Once-in-a-Lifetime hunt. It is not ******ed. They do have several game officers and range officers patrolling to make sure no illegal activity goes on. It is one of those things if you get caught doing anything wrong they will ****** you off the base and ban you and your partners from going on the base again. They are several areas that you cannot hunt in. Also a orange vest is required. They have a saftey meeting first thing in the morning. Then turn you loose. It is jammed at the start but people filter out very quick. If you draw let me know and I can give you some advice on were and how to hunt them. This was my second hunt. I assisted one guy last year and this year was my turn. Have several family and friends putting in and if they draw I will be back down there. As long as it don't interfere with my Elk hunts.

Good hunting.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:17 PM

I just found out there was an outdoor show in Albuquerque last week. [:@] [:@] [:@] Does anybody know if there will be another one this year? I emailed International sportsman show and they said they don't do them in New Mexico. What kind of state is this anyway? <grin>

I would like to get some snow geese. Does anybody have any ideas? I see the season closes March 10 so I guess I better hurry.

Thanks for all the input.

Jim
Old 02-20-2004, 03:48 PM

Shot High,
I think the Outdoor Show is THIS weekend at the Convention Center. It will mainly be displaying Travel Trailers, 4 wheelers, boats, etc....There are Gun shows at the Manual Lujan Center on the Fairgrounds every last weekend in February, June and October. I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Good Luck!

It's actually the Outdoor Sports & Recreational Show, (just saw the ad on TV) BIG boy toys! whoo-hoo!
Old 02-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Right on glad you guys helped shothigh out i see a coulpe albq and aztec post's lived in both areas, if you know any of the jensens in aztec they are my brothers say hi for me and "HUNT ON" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2004, 06:49 PM

Ok Dperry I need your help.

I have two boys (12 and 15 yrs.) besides myself that put in for the Oryx hunt. One of them, (12 yr old) it's all he could talk about since leaving Alaska. Only one of us drew out and fortunately it was the 12 yr old. So now the pressure is on me to help him get one. If I can get him out of the clouds by then he will be hunting the small missile range Nov 27-28. I'm assuming they are the size of an elk so 30-06 is in order. What's the terrain like? Are long (200 yd) shots the norm or less than 100?

Any pointers would really help.

Jim
Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 AM

30-06 would be fine. Which area did you draw for? Most of the area is very open. And most shots are 400 yards plus. You can get lucky and get a 200 yard shot. They are very wary and can see great distances.

Get some sort of bipod. So that the shot is steady. Let him practice with the bipod from a sitting position.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Sorry I did not see the small missle range post.

You will have some areas that the brush is 5-6 feet tall. Spoting them is tough but in that terrain you can get fairly close. Problem is shooting from a standing position.

let him practice from a standing position with shoting sticks.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: New Mexico info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.