North Idaho Advice - Deer/Elk

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

North Idaho Advice - Deer/Elk

Old 08-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Spike

Default North Idaho Advice - Deer/Elk

Hi All,

My son (13) and I have never hunted. We have and are comfortable shooting guns. We moved from Dallas to the Coeur d'Alene area last year.

We don't have friends up here that can take us out so I thought about a guide. Having a hard time finding something up here, or even something a little south, that isn't $5000 for the kid and me. That seems pretty crazy considering both my neighbors tagged out on their property last year. I'm over by Farragut State Park.

Any advice on how to get going this fall for deer/elk? I know better than to ask for spots, but seems silly driving up into the mountains and just hoping for the best. Guess I could just try from my property but that didn't work out to well during spring turkey season. How do the dang turkeys know they are in season? I swear the day after the season ended they all started prancing about the yard again.

Thanks for any advice you can extend.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I live about 1 hour north of you. There is Nothing special about finding Deer down your way, there is an ABUNDANCE of Whitetail in North Idaho!! Get yourself somewhat concealed/broken up from Brush, your back to a Large Tree etc. Sit down and Watch, VERY CAREFUL of Movement, Whitetail are VERY unforgiving about Movement, For the most part they are NOT curious of Movement, they see something odd and they PEEL OUT! Nov the 15th to about the 25th is GOLDEN for Killing a Mature Buck, They Rutt that time of year, EVERY Year here. You have all kinds of Mountain Country down there, You shouldn’t have ANY problems at all getting Deer

Elk on the other hand can be MUCH MUCH more challenging, I have killed an Elk nearly every year here, But they don’t come easy, they are a SERIOUS challenge for the Most part, Anyone can get Lucky, But i sure don’t have that with Elk. They are HUGE animals, if you kill one very Far from a Rd you had better be Prepared, You have a MOUNTAIN of Work ahead of you!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:42 AM
Spike

My son and I are also planning a hunt Oct. 2020. We will be pitching camp at a friends property in Santa, ID and stage out of there.
We have elk hunted a number of years before in SE ID. (Tex Creek) so we are not wet behind the ears..lol
Would like to chat with someone local if possible, current plan is we will pitch camp drive North By East towards the St. Joe area and see what happens i guess.
How are the wolves as of late in that area ? was hoping they would not be an issue ? No grizz or lions around up there ?