Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Any Montana hunters? >

Any Montana hunters?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Any Montana hunters?

Old 07-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Spike

SE Montana had a good year also. Planned for a 6 day bull elk hunt on my land and when I went out the next day bagged around a 315 BC bull. We have some hunters come out for mule deer and elk and they all filled and were happy. Even had 25 turkeys showed up and stayed all winter eating our grain hay. Winter hit hard and relentless. We were calving in blizzards with 3-4 feet of snow everywhere. We have 8 foot wind break corrals we calve in and they had drifts up to the top. Many ranchers lost a lot of calves, but when it thawed we only had about 2 dead dear we have found this summer. Had 20-30 head of deer we chased out of our hay corrals every morning when we fed our cows. They ran across the road and would wait for us to leave and head right back in and wait for us the next day. We had a tornado go through last week or so and heard of more deer dying from it than anything. It was down my the little Missouri river and they had like 20 whitetails get nailed by it, one house was destroyed, and lots of damage to sheds, barns, corrals, etc. but nobody was hurt luckily. Now it turned off hot and dry, but we are putting up more hay than the last two years combined and have more does and fawns running around in the way. Saw some bucks in velvet this morning also so hopefully our year will end on a high note. Good luck to everyone and good hunting!!!