Any Montana hunters? >

Any Montana hunters?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Any Montana hunters?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any Montana hunters?

Just curious how folks did this fall as far as elk and deer hunting in Montana. In the area I hunt elk numbers seemed very good, mule deer were also good numbers which I was very happy to see. Whitetail were of course numerous. I filled both my elk general license and the B tag for a cow. I also filled my mule deer doe tag and filled my general deer with a whitetail doe. I saw a few mule deer that were decent bucks, but decided to let them try and go a year or two and harvest does instead, which made rancher very happy. I am thinking of asking friends and family I hunt with, to shoot a doe if they come down elk hunting. I feel it would be a good way to keep in balance. I look forward to reading your Montana reports.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Well, guess not to many.....just concluded a cow elk hunt for service members in the December shoulder season for cow's, went fantastic, in 3 day's of hunting, all 6 men bagged a cow. Only had to quarter 1 animal out and pack out. Was a great group of guy's, second year I was able to put something like this together, hopefully it will be a annual event as long as Montana has a shoulder season in the area I hunt.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a buddy that went to SW MT (not exactly sure where but west of Bozeman) this year & said that w/ 12 hunters in camp that week, not 1 elk nor deer was shot. He's been w/ the same outfitter twice before & they have always come back w/ elk. He said between the harsh winter & the wolves, it was tough to say the least...
Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I know of a guide in SC Montana that hunts forest service area, he also had a bad year, with early and big snow, plus wolves, game was just not around. Maybe instead of shoulder season for elk, fwp should put a bounty on those critters. Oh, but that's not politically correct....
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

We (my son and I) did well... We both killed a nice whitetail buck and we each killed a whitetail doe and my son killed a cow elk (late season tag in the Breaks). I'm not sure if we saw more critters or more hunters. We have been getting absolutely swamped with non-resident hunters as well as hunters from other parts of Montana (I'm in region 6).

Block mgt. is a catch 22 deal... It's nice to have places to hunt without knocking on doors, but they draw hunters from out of state and other parts of Montana like flies. In Blaine County alone I believe we have 38 block mgt units and they get hammered to death. Consequently, the hunting pressure is unreal. Yes, we have good numbers of animals, but trying to find a mature buck, etc. is very, very difficult. Most are shot before they ever come close to being mature. It's common to go out and see 100 deer or more and 90% of them are does and fawns and the remainder are mostly young 2 and 3 point bucks.

Pheasant numbers were the worst I've seen in the 38 years I've lived here.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
We (my son and I) did well... We both killed a nice whitetail buck and we each killed a whitetail doe and my son killed a cow elk (late season tag in the Breaks). I'm not sure if we saw more critters or more hunters. We have been getting absolutely swamped with non-resident hunters as well as hunters from other parts of Montana (I'm in region 6).

Block mgt. is a catch 22 deal... It's nice to have places to hunt without knocking on doors, but they draw hunters from out of state and other parts of Montana like flies. In Blaine County alone I believe we have 38 block mgt units and they get hammered to death. Consequently, the hunting pressure is unreal. Yes, we have good numbers of animals, but trying to find a mature buck, etc. is very, very difficult. Most are shot before they ever come close to being mature. It's common to go out and see 100 deer or more and 90% of them are does and fawns and the remainder are mostly young 2 and 3 point bucks.

Man I hate to hear that. I'm a VA resident but have hunted MT 3 times & have had a blast each time. Got lucky & harvested 3 pretty nice Mulies & 1 4x5 Elk but didn't shoot an elk my 1st go round. We got into a lot of birds Nov. '16 when we hunted in North Central MT but only a few the other times I hunted South West MT. Totally different terrain though. Your winters really change things w/ game populations. Something that we take for granted here in the Old Dominion. We've had a colder than average winter this year, but nothing like what y'all experience out there. Plus our "colder than average" prob. won't do any damage to the game #s here...
Old 01-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Spike

Elk were easy and we filled 6 tags and ran out of freezer space. I haven't seen a shootable buck in 6 years. The deep snow made horses a critical component in the search. It was a little spooky while the dead lodgepoles were falling as we road through them. This elk hunting isn't for sissies anymore. Let alone those with bad luck.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tatonka

I'm an out-of-stater and I agree. I've enjoyed hunting MT over the years, but the word got out (especially to the state of Washington it seems). The easy MT tag was convenient, but I'm looking to WY for the future. I have to say there were a lot of deer up there this year, though.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Spike

Hunting last year seemed to be hit and miss... I have a friend who hadn't been skunked in his 30+ years of hunting and last fall he got nada. I didn't even get a tag as I was busy between kids sports and getting work done before winter. The smokey summer really put a lot of things behind schedule.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mounts
Hunting last year seemed to be hit and miss... I have a friend who hadn't been skunked in his 30+ years of hunting and last fall he got nada. I didn't even get a tag as I was busy between kids sports and getting work done before winter. The smokey summer really put a lot of things behind schedule.
I have seen this too.

Bobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.