Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Early results for Colorado elk? >

Early results for Colorado elk?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Early results for Colorado elk?

Old 10-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Spike

Default Early results for Colorado elk?

Speaking of the rifle seasons. It has been extra-ordinarily warm and dry for the most part. The number of shots fired has also been extremely low in my GMU.

Thinking the warm, dry weather may be keeping most of the elk higher than most hunters want to hike.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Spike

Agreed. Nothing pushing them down to lower elevation yet. Seen some sign, tracks/scat, but nothing much moving. Maybe by end of 2nd or beginning of 3rd rifle.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Spike

Was walking my three dogs this morning in an area where I had never seen a single elk.

Seemed like a mirage for quite awhile. 6 x 6 Royal with 15 cows and calves that I could see. Would have been the easiest shot of my life had I a good rifle.

I do 1000 times more hiking when it isn't hunting season. Can't really hike with the dogs during season....which starts tomorrow.

At late 50's, I have to hike my ass off to stay in shape.

Other hunters are complaining of bad luck this year...though my sample is small.

Still can't hardly believe it. Did see a hunter with rifle later on. Perhaps his group pushed the elk herd? Though they acted pretty relaxed. In fact, it was the bull calling that got my attention at first. Unbelievable.