Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

creepy, wierd, or downright scary things found while hunting

Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Spike

Awesome posts people! Keep it up!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:45 AM
Banned

when I WAS about ten on a fishing trip with older brothers we came across a dude that had committed suicide . he left a note on dash of truck saying girlfriend dumped him.
blew our minds, not to mention his.

another time when I was in my early 2os I came across a guy who had rolled his truck during the night and was standing next to it in the snow in his bare feet. he was drunk and had no idea what had happened.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm touched by the sadness of Oltimr's find. We found an alzheimers patient once that had wandered away from a day care type facility. He'd been gone a couple days, and was wet, and cold. He was also covered with ants. So filthy as he was, we took his clothes off and brushed away everything we could. He was completely docile, and went with us without a peep.

Creepiest thing was the leaves crunching like something was walking by. Only nothing was there. It seemed to pass by me maybe ten feet away. It just kept going until I couldn't hear it anymore. Anybody else ever have that experience?

ATB

Last edited by Mickey Finn; 04-24-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling. (Still not sure it's right.)
Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mickey, I pretty much know how those crunching leave and nothing in sight made you feel. Several years Ago I was in SC at Cypress Creek Plantation to hunt hogs. The guides would drop us off at a ladder stan or raised wooden stand twice a day, once in the morning, then pick us up to go back to the lodge for lunch, then again in the afternoon for the evening hunt and picked p well after dark. I wanted to take a hog with my handgun so they took me back a dirt and grass lane for about 2 miles through pine and oak woods to a very wet area with a nice comfortable raised wooden stand with a roof. The stand was about 20 yards from a huge wallow and a feeder. I saw turkey and coyote, I heard a hog but didn't see any. At dusk I was sitting there listening to tree frogs and night birds and such when I heard what sounded like a woman's voice going OOOOOoooooo, OOOOOooo and coming closer to me. Now there was nothing for miles in either direction and the noise was coming from a very swampy area that had cotton mouths and gators and they tell you to stay in the stand if you kill a hog till they pick you up. This noise kept up coming closer and closer, then just at dark, probably 20 minutes, then it started geting farther and farther away until I could not hear it any more. It was now pitch black with no moon and every hair on my body was standing straight up. About a half hour later I heard the truck coming up the lane to pick me up. I was never so glad to see another human being. While driving back to the lodge I was reluctant to tell the other hunters and the guides what I just heard, I was the last client to be picked up and the truck was full. I finally told them what I heard. The guides didn't seem too surprised, in fact they were kind of amused. They told me that it was the ghost of a woman who died while her husband was fighting in the Civil war and she is burried in an overgrown family grave on the other side of the swamp and every so ofter people hear her wandering about, calling, trying to find her husband, they talked about it at dinner and they said they had several clients who had heard it and a few guides as well. Now, I don't believe in ghosts wandering around but I do know what the heck I heard but I have to admit it was a bit scarey and I was real glad I had two firearms with me. I have heard wildlife making all kinds of strange noises, raccoons foxes, birds and even deer but nothing like this.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Mickey, I pretty much know how those crunching leave and nothing in sight made you feel. Several years Ago I was in SC at Cypress Creek Plantation to hunt hogs. The guides would drop us off at a ladder stan or raised wooden stand twice a day, once in the morning, then pick us up to go back to the lodge for lunch, then again in the afternoon for the evening hunt and picked p well after dark. I wanted to take a hog with my handgun so they took me back a dirt and grass lane for about 2 miles through pine and oak woods to a very wet area with a nice comfortable raised wooden stand with a roof. The stand was about 20 yards from a huge wallow and a feeder. I saw turkey and coyote, I heard a hog but didn't see any. At dusk I was sitting there listening to tree frogs and night birds and such when I heard what sounded like a woman's voice going OOOOOoooooo, OOOOOooo and coming closer to me. Now there was nothing for miles in either direction and the noise was coming from a very swampy area that had cotton mouths and gators and they tell you to stay in the stand if you kill a hog till they pick you up. This noise kept up coming closer and closer, then just at dark, probably 20 minutes, then it started geting farther and farther away until I could not hear it any more. It was now pitch black with no moon and every hair on my body was standing straight up. About a half hour later I heard the truck coming up the lane to pick me up. I was never so glad to see another human being. While driving back to the lodge I was reluctant to tell the other hunters and the guides what I just heard, I was the last client to be picked up and the truck was full. I finally told them what I heard. The guides didn't seem too surprised, in fact they were kind of amused. They told me that it was the ghost of a woman who died while her husband was fighting in the Civil war and she is burried in an overgrown family grave on the other side of the swamp and every so ofter people hear her wandering about, calling, trying to find her husband, they talked about it at dinner and they said they had several clients who had heard it and a few guides as well. Now, I don't believe in ghosts wandering around but I do know what the heck I heard but I have to admit it was a bit scarey and I was real glad I had two firearms with me. I have heard wildlife making all kinds of strange noises, raccoons foxes, birds and even deer but nothing like this.
They just won't let the Civil War go will they. Porcupines make the weirdest sounds I've heard so far. One came down the trail to my bait station once. I wasn't sure what was coming til it hobbled into view. A couple days before one had a face off with a bear. So, maybe it was just announcing itself.

ATB
Old 05-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was Chukar hunting in the high desert east of L.A. Calif., rolling hills with a lot of small canyons and arroyos. Saw what looked like an old mine shaft and went to take a look. It was somebodies house. Passageways and rooms, even a bed and table cut out of the walls. Blanket still on the bed, lantern on the table, even an old wooden Cokacola case half full of way old Coke bottles. I guess whoever once lived there was a frustrated artist, he had heated up the coke bottles and twisted them into many weird shapes and forms.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not out west, however almost walking over an old cistern on a hunt was the most creepy thing I experienced. The thought of being trapped underground and a long drawn out death is not on my to do list. I have come across many old homesteads in the wilderness and old cisterns and wells pose a risk.

Weirdest thing would be finding unexploded bombs from a long decommissioned Air Force bombing range turned into a State Forest. I had to sign waivers to enter the place.

Scariest thing was being stuck in the hardwoods while a tornado creating storm system come through. When I seen the black clouds and wall of rain sweeping as fast as a I have ever seen I knew this was no ordinary storm. Trees fell around me and I was hit by a small branch trying to run out towards a field in a compete panic. The rain was so hard and horizontal I couldn't open my eyes. At that point I remember taking shelter at the base of a large tree against the wind knowing that trying to move was too dangerous. I never felt so small in my life, knowing I was just a tiny piece of meat against the forces of nature was all I thought about as the storm swept across and moved on. I caught acute bronchitis from breathing that cold air mixed with rain when I tried running for it.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Not out west, however almost walking over an old cistern on a hunt was the most creepy thing I experienced. The thought of being trapped underground and a long drawn out death is not on my to do list. I have come across many old homesteads in the wilderness and old cisterns and wells pose a risk.

Weirdest thing would be finding unexploded bombs from a long decommissioned Air Force bombing range turned into a State Forest. I had to sign waivers to enter the place.

Scariest thing was being stuck in the hardwoods while a tornado creating storm system come through. When I seen the black clouds and wall of rain sweeping as fast as a I have ever seen I knew this was no ordinary storm. Trees fell around me and I was hit by a small branch trying to run out towards a field in a compete panic. The rain was so hard and horizontal I couldn't open my eyes. At that point I remember taking shelter at the base of a large tree against the wind knowing that trying to move was too dangerous. I never felt so small in my life, knowing I was just a tiny piece of meat against the forces of nature was all I thought about as the storm swept across and moved on. I caught acute bronchitis from breathing that cold air mixed with rain when I tried running for it.
Yeah, that would be scary. Our Upper Peninsula is peppered with old mine shafts. Mostly filled with water. I've heard of animals falling in and know of one hunter who lost a wounded bear in one. I always wondered-worried about stepping into one and being drowned. The gas would bring you up for awhile. But once it escaped you'd sink for good.

ATB

Last edited by Mickey Finn; 05-12-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Spike

OKAY, guys, i have one that just happened pretty recently. my family and I were camping on public land in the alabama hills near lone pine, ca. Big time mountain lion country. My uncle, who is an orange county sheriff, lent us some night vision goggles. we were walking around the desert of our campsite at night with these, when I start to get a bad feeling. so I told my brother that we should check in to camp, and he said okay. so when we went back, our pudelpointer, Scout, was looking in that direction, alert. Well, we had dinner, and went back to the spot that I had a "being watched" feeling, we saw Big cat tracks, right alongside our footprints. they were not there before. we stayed closer to camp for the rest of the night, and listened to our gut feelings ever since. sure scared us.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the weirdest things I've experienced is a young kid who had kind of a autistic savant thing going on. I never heard him speak a word, he was friendly enough, smiled a lot. He kind of reminded me of a friendly dog.

Sure I've been deep in thought and had somebody sneak up on me, or had an animal appear out of seemingly nowhere. But for the most part my senses are tuned to the wild and my sixth sense functions better than most peoples. Most times I seem to spot things and notice stuff most people miss, I have a nose for danger.

This guy would just pop out of nowhere and be standing right next to me, like he just appeared, poof and he was there. Even my dog, who was with me most of the time, would startle when he appeared. In the village, open fields, in the woods or where ever.

I honestly don't know how he did it, it was almost spooky, like he could suppress your senses until he wanted to be seen.

The oddest part of it all was his mother dressed him in bright yellow rubber boots and a bright yellow rain jacket. pretty much 24/7 365. It didn't make any difference if it was the middle of winter or the middle of summer and hot out, he'd always be dressed in school bus yellow jacket, rubber boots, plaid shirt and bluejeans. I asked her why one day and she smiles and said, the only chance I ever have of finding him is the yellow and even then I usually can't find him, until he comes home on his own to eat and sleep.

I was trained in the military as a scout and am pretty good at creeping and sneaking. I've been a hunter most of my life. I really can't figure out how this guy, wearing bright yellow, could just appear standing right next to me every time, without me seeing or hearing him before he is within arms reach??? Kind of humbling to be truthful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.