Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Colorado 511, 51, 59, 581, 501, 50, 58 HWY24 Access >

Colorado 511, 51, 59, 581, 501, 50, 58 HWY24 Access

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado 511, 51, 59, 581, 501, 50, 58 HWY24 Access

Old 07-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terrence34
So I drew a archery deer tag for 581,58,49,and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction where to find a buck. Moved here 4 years ago so I'm not to familiar with anything. I've been everywhere pretty much. Seen deer here and there. But nothing to great. Not asking anyone for honey holes or anything. Just advise

a lot are located in the dark and cool areas. water is not always the best places. We are having a lot of bears and cats coming out. So work t500yrds off a main roads. a lot of guys walk the clear cuts where the Power/lines are and find the trails. head in when you find one. and try to find multiple trails converge. watch for wind blowing towards trails. deep dark areas make them feel safe. a couple guys are cutting trees in a area to create a bed down location. trees cut at waist height and pushed over give them better cover.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bobsspike
a lot are located in the dark and cool areas. water is not always the best places. We are having a lot of bears and cats coming out. So work t500yrds off a main roads. a lot of guys walk the clear cuts where the Power/lines are and find the trails. head in when you find one. and try to find multiple trails converge. watch for wind blowing towards trails. deep dark areas make them feel safe. a couple guys are cutting trees in a area to create a bed down location. trees cut at waist height and pushed over give them better cover.
Thanks. I've honestly been over in 39 mile the most since I've been here and actually have seen some good deer in there. Elk also, how's dome rock and mueller? I'm sure During archery season there's a lot of hikers in there?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 AM
Spike

I have not really checked Muller but dome rock does have some good areas. Hikers make the deer not so skittish... and I hear hikers taste like chicken. I got into it with a hiker at dome. they said that coyotes are great and should not be hunted. I asked her if she ever owned any land. she said no. so I explained to her the problems coyotes and deer and wolfs cause for livestock and farming. she had the deer in the headlights look. I love how they go out and don't take a gun or any means of defending themselves to the animals that they love so much. Murphys law will prevail..
Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Spike

Anyone have a update on how the smoke is affecting the hunting? any issues with the Bowhunting?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:16 AM
Spike

And the drought continues. I see skat and prints everywhere but when I finally get to Muzzle season the one good Bull I see is on the wrong side of the stand. damnt. wait all year for a single shot and to have it so I can see but not shoot sucks. He was 13 yards away.. and he bolted.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Spike

Resurrecting this thread as we get closer to the best time of year again. For convenience, I'm considering going with an OTC 2nd rifle season and hunting the 581/511 area, which will be a first for me. I want to bring my 8 year old daughter with me this year, also a first, so the several mile hikes up the side of a mountain and tenting it for the week will also be out. I have done a ton of camping out in 581 and would love to take the RV out there and use it as an easy base camp. From there we'd get as far off the beaten path and away from civilization as possible. I know I'll be limiting my opportunities at better bulls elsewhere and/or may not even fill a tag but, if nothing else it will be a new place to hunt and good times with the little one who loves the outdoors as much as I do.

Anyone familiar with the are, does that sound like a decent plan or are there better locations I should look at that would fit the bill? I'll start scouting 581 next week out of curiosity regardless...

Last edited by SilverbulletM70; 07-13-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
Resurrecting this thread as we get closer to the best time of year again. For convenience, I'm considering going with an OTC 2nd rifle season and hunting the 581/511 area, which will be a first for me. I want to bring my 8 year old daughter with me this year, also a first, so the several mile hikes up the side of a mountain and tenting it for the week will also be out. I have done a ton of camping out in 581 and would love to take the RV out there and use it as an easy base camp. From there we'd get as far off the beaten path and away from civilization as possible. I know I'll be limiting my opportunities at better bulls elsewhere and/or may not even fill a tag but, if nothing else it will be a new place to hunt and good times with the little one who loves the outdoors as much as I do.

Anyone familiar with the are, does that sound like a decent plan or are there better locations I should look at that would fit the bill? I'll start scouting 581 next week out of curiosity regardless...
Hey Silverbullet, just checking to see if you had any luck? A buddy and I grabbed some leftover Elk tags for 4th Rifle for units 59 / 581. He got a bull and I grabbed a cow tag. We scouted Dome Rock SWA for a day during first rifle and saw some elk sign and even a leg that must have fallen out of someone's pack since there was no spoil pile around. We have never hunted this area before and would love any tips. It seems they are up on the backside of Pike's Peak in the summer and come down to Mueller state park and the Florissant Fossil beds during the winter. We are just hoping they'll be in the Dome Rock state wildlife area from November 14th to 18th!

Anyone have any luck up there recently?
Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Spike

The biggest problem I have seen with DOME rock is that all the elk know that they can be safer in Muller and go there. Jerks!... hope you have luck calling one out from Muller.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MichaelCV4
Hey Silverbullet, just checking to see if you had any luck? A buddy and I grabbed some leftover Elk tags for 4th Rifle for units 59 / 581. He got a bull and I grabbed a cow tag. We scouted Dome Rock SWA for a day during first rifle and saw some elk sign and even a leg that must have fallen out of someone's pack since there was no spoil pile around. We have never hunted this area before and would love any tips. It seems they are up on the backside of Pike's Peak in the summer and come down to Mueller state park and the Florissant Fossil beds during the winter. We are just hoping they'll be in the Dome Rock state wildlife area from November 14th to 18th!

Anyone have any luck up there recently?
I hunted 581 and saw a TON of sign but the herd had just recently moved on to some undisclosed location. Saw a lot of mulies but not a single elk the entire 5 day hunt (Sat - Wed) hitting it hard getting in place before first light and not heading back to base camp until after dark. Pretty frustrating but that area looked promising for archery or first rifle season.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Spike

get a muzzle and you could hunt 2 weeks after archery starts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.