Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

best game?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default best game?

i was wondering, what is your favorite game to hunt? when is your favorite season to hunt? what is your favorite region to hunt? i am going to be mainly hunting in lost park area, but am willing to look at other options. everyone has a preference and im curious as a first timer where is the best and why.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

In Colorado I like 4th rifle for deer and muzzleloader for elk. I never see anyone in the woods then. I hunt 45 minutes from my house in Colorado Springs. Gives me more days out in the woods looking around.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a different way for a new guy to ask where to hunt.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Spike

we women like to take unique approaches to things.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've gotten to the point that I really enjoy hunting pronghorns. However, CO has always been pretty stingy with the tags and you usually need at least a couple preference points. So I hunt them in WY while I'm building the points in my native CO.

I also enjoy hunting deer on the plains and have access to a big private ranch in Yuma County. I can get a doe tag there just about any year I want them. I've had a blast hunting bighorns and goats but those tags are few and far between. Since I put 50 behind me I don't know if there are anymore sheep or goat hunts in my future.

Like most CO native I have a fondness for elk hunting. I usually get late season cow tags in the northwest corner of the state. I can draw one as a second choice and keep building preference points. I've got 20 points now and will cash them in on a unit 2 tag in the next few years. I'd like one more really good bull and there are monsters in unit 2 and the tags are very, very limited. Hence the 20 points.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Aberk2009
we women like to take unique approaches to things.
Ok, so my favorite animal to hunt is elk. I've been doing it in Colorado for 60 years. I'll continue to do it until I can't walk.

I hunted rifle season with a Winchester 94 in 30-30 until 10 years ago when I switched to a muzzleloader. I like to still hunt, and get close.

As to where to hunt? Sorry, but that for you to figure out. It's part of the hunt, and I know you don't want me hunting for you.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted deer, pronghorn, pheasant, ducks, and elk. I prefer hunting elk.

I like to hunt elk in Colorado in the first rifle season, mid-October. The elk are not stirred up and restless and holed up in the dark timber at the start of the first rifle season. Also, the elk are up high at this time of year -- near tree line, about 11,500' or so. I camp with my hunting partner in his canvas wall tent heated by his wood burning stove and we hunt the elk around tree line. I like camping like that and I like being in the high mountains. It is a beautiful time of year to be in the mountains -- well, maybe anytime is beautiful in the mountains. Sometimes the elk are still bugling during the first rifle season. High mountains, wood fire heated wall tent, elk bugling . . . it is hard to beat all that. Also, elk meat tastes better than those other animals I enumerated above.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Spike

I just got back from an African plains game safari and was the most fun hunt I've ever been on. Its nothing like other hunting. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, deer, elk, bear, turkey, antelope, etc but the African hunt was the best. I was in Namibia for 8 days.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bsums
I just got back from an African plains game safari and was the most fun hunt I've ever been on. Its nothing like other hunting. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, deer, elk, bear, turkey, antelope, etc but the African hunt was the best. I was in Namibia for 8 days.
I've done Africa 5 times. Once you go, you are always trying to get back again. If you want a great safari destination I suggest hitting Cameroon at least once. Northwest Africa is a totally different experience than Southern Africa is.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bsums
Namibia is a great place to hunt, but it is not really in the "West" unless your are including West Africa. My first African hunt was a Namibian PG hunt also.

For the USA "West" I would currently rate mule deer in the mountains as my favorite, but for many years elk was my passion. After taking over three dozen elk I would rather go on a cow hunt now and leave the bulls for someone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.