Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Pelt Prices

Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pelt Prices

Does anyone know what pelt prices are going for in Colorado right now? Mainly just coyote and bobcat? I have a place that I can go set some live traps for bobcat, and just kinda curious about the coyote pelts.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Iv been thinking bout getting into trapping im curios
as well
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I doubt you can make much with coyote. Maybe some of the other critters that have more demand.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

I kinda figured the coyote wouldn't be worth a lot, but money is money. I'm also not sure how accurate it is, but I heard that bobcat hides were going for anywhere between 700-1200 for a good hide. Any truth to this?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trapping in CO for profit in nearly impossible these days. The only legal traps are live traps. You cannot legally use leg holds, conis or snares. Haven't been able to in over 20 years. Way back then we had a spring bear hunt the bunny huggers hated and they got enough signatures to put it on the ballot. Since CO was being invaded by transplants from CA, the measure passed because 6 front range counties wanted it to and the rest the state couldn't outvote the IDIOTS. As a rider to the bear vote, the bunny huggers added on trapping for good measure. So, CO lost both at the same time.

Back when I was a kid growing up there I ran a good trapline for fox, coyote, bobcat and a few muskrats and coons out on the plains. We used to go to the high country for a couple of weeks during winter break from school and set snares for pine martin. We made some decent money. But live traps make it impossible to run enough traps to make it really worth your time.

I don't know what the going rate is for bobcat but I really doubt they are going for $700 or higher. When I sold fur bobcat went for about double or double and a half what good coyotes went for. I'm guessing $175 would be about max but I may be wrong. If you want to know the going rate, check out NAFA (North American Fur Auctions) since they are about the biggest fur buyers in the nation. Normally the results of last years averages will be posted.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Flags, I appreciate the info!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get on the trapping forums for better feedback. I've seen bobcat prices pretty high, bu the prices are up and down like the stock market. You have to hit it just right.

Like you said. Money is money, and if you enjoy trapping. You might as well make some money.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Spike

The pelt's price will reflect the quality of the fur and the quality of the skinning job. A mountable bobcat pelt can go anywhere from $100-$500 (and highballing $700 though good luck finding a buyer), fully tanned, split and mountable with claws and pads still attached.

Coyotes are a bit lower, ranging from $60-$250. $60 quality usually has the legs cut off and is considered a wall hanger. Higher priced pelts are mountable.

It all depends on how its skinned, how well its skinned, what quality fur and what type of tan it has.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the mangy coyotes we have in Colorado?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Spike

It all depends on what grade the fur is. I just saw an A grade CO coyote wall hanger up for sale for $150. Imagine if it was fully mountable?

ETA: Of course, auctions will sell for cheaper. Also if you sell it "green" or frozen, it will be cheaper. A lot of the money comes from the tanning cost. You gotta make your money back somehow if you intend to sell.

Last edited by KonKata; 12-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.