HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Pelt Prices (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/387935-pelt-prices.html)

Tobe_B 12-12-2013 03:17 PM

Well I'm not looking to try and get rich. I just like shooting coyotes and don't wanna waste the hides and when I took my new job the previous foreman who was a friend of mine left me with five live traps for bobcat and a few of his locations around the ranch. I live at about 8250 feet and we have a little better than average fur on critters, and plenty of coyotes. Since the fires last summer I have already noticed an increased movement of predators and would like to take advantage of that.

Muley Hunter 12-12-2013 03:22 PM

I live at 8000ft too, and have lots of coyote. Killing is easy. It's all that work getting the skins ready that I don't have time for.

Ridge Runner 12-12-2013 04:50 PM

eastern coyotes are 15 bucks each, western silkies bring pretty decent money, last year at the north American fur traders association fur auction top lot bobcats were from Idaho, the top 5 brought 1400.00 each. search nafta and see what prices were at the last auction, hell muskrats were bringing 14 bucks, that's up from 8 the year before.
RR

Tobe_B 12-14-2013 01:16 PM

Heck we got enough muskrats around here I could make a killing...literally. As far as hide prep I'm not too concerned about the time. There isn't much else for me to do in the evening when it gets dark around here. Thanks for all the help and info. Definitely worth it for me to do the bobcats, and I doubt I mess with the yotes, probably shoot em and keep the hides for myself.

deernutz 12-16-2013 01:10 PM

Prices are good. Best I've seen in a long time. Also you can use snares, body gripping, and foot holds in CO. Flags must have been mistaken when he stated that.

flags 12-16-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by deernutz (Post 4108240)
Prices are good. Best I've seen in a long time. Also you can use snares, body gripping, and foot holds in CO. Flags must have been mistaken when he stated that.

I'm not mistaken. You better check the following which is taken straight out of the regulations brochure:

Legal small-Game hunting methods: for fur bearers
1. Any rifle, handgun, shotgun, handheld bow or crossbow or live traps — limited to cage or box traps.

illegal small-game hunting methods: (Includes FURBEARERS)
1. The use of toxicants, drugs, explosives, stupefying substances or leghold traps, instant kill body-gripping design traps or snares to hunt,kill, capture, injure or harass wildlife are illegal, except with permits issued by CPW or the Colorado Department of Agriculture.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl.../smallgame.pdf

If you're going give advice, give proper advice so you don't get someone a citation. When they talk about permits, they aren't talking about a furbearers license, they are talking about special collection permits or problem animal control/government trappers and your average guy isn't going to get one of those. Colorado lost most of its trapping years ago. I know because I was there when it happened and had to sell my traps because I couldn't use them any more.

homers brother 12-17-2013 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4108360)
...Colorado lost most of its trapping years ago. I know because I was there when it happened and had to sell my traps because I couldn't use them any more.

Interesting. I ran a couple of trap-lines in CO when I was a kid. When did all of that change? Part of the Cali-rado transformation?

flags 12-17-2013 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by homers brother (Post 4108400)
Interesting. I ran a couple of trap-lines in CO when I was a kid. When did all of that change? Part of the Cali-rado transformation?

About 20-25 years ago, when the invasion from the Land of the Looney started, a bunch of bunny huggers got all bent out of shape about the spring bear hunt. They ran a petition and got enough signatures to put the spring hunt on the ballot. They ran all kinds of B.S. ads about "orphaned" cubs starving. The DOW refused to get involved because it was politics and not science. Go figure that line of thought!

When it came to a vote, the 5 major front range counties where the LIBERAL IDIOTS from CA all settled trumped the rest the state and the bear hunt was outlawed. They had attached trapping to the bill as a rider so when we lost the spring bear hunt we lost the trapping as well. Anybody that thinks their right to hunt cannot be taken away by the public at the ballot box needs to take note. If it can happen in a major hunting state like CO, it can happen anywhere!

You've been warned!

deernutz 12-17-2013 08:08 AM

Flags I guess the argument is how easy it is to get a permit then. I was able to get one the 3 years I lived there quite easily.

So Tobe I would just go to your nearest wildlife office and ask. Cause I really didn’t have a hard time getting one. There’s a misconception that only state trappers get these and that is dead wrong. Once you get the license you can use footholds, snares etc.

They just use this process to limit the numbers of trappers in the state I would think.

Muley Hunter 12-17-2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4108437)
About 20-25 years ago, when the invasion from the Land of the Looney started, a bunch of bunny huggers got all bent out of shape about the spring bear hunt. They ran a petition and got enough signatures to put the spring hunt on the ballot. They ran all kinds of B.S. ads about "orphaned" cubs starving. The DOW refused to get involved because it was politics and not science. Go figure that line of thought!

When it came to a vote, the 5 major front range counties where the LIBERAL IDIOTS from CA all settled trumped the rest the state and the bear hunt was outlawed. They had attached trapping to the bill as a rider so when we lost the spring bear hunt we lost the trapping as well. Anybody that thinks their right to hunt cannot be taken away by the public at the ballot box needs to take note. If it can happen in a major hunting state like CO, it can happen anywhere!

You've been warned!

Do you really think native Coloradans aren't voting the same way? Don't be so naive. Lots of tree huggers were here before anybody else showed up.