Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Colorado hunters unit #65 and ATVs >

Colorado hunters unit #65 and ATVs

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado hunters unit #65 and ATVs

Old 10-06-2003, 11:11 AM

Default RE: Colorado hunters unit #65 and ATVs

I don' t place much value in the fact that one or even some of the people who commented want to end hunting. So what? 10% of the public always believe in bizarre or absurd ideas on virtually every issue. I don' t want to waste my effort responding to the fringe element on any issue - its tilting at windmills. I also expect my government to protect the resource first. Your " right" to ride your 4 wheeler doesn' t outweigh the FS obligation to protect the resource. If ATV riders had behaved in a better manner - most of these closures would not have been necessary. As for logging roads - logging companies pay for them generally with the understanding that they will be closed and reclamated when they are done.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:35 AM

Ok now my turn, I am a semi disabled hunter who has been using the owl creek pass road for years, it' s closure will and has severly effected my ability to gain access to the area that I hunt. I agree whith 338 and summit, why close a perfectly good road that is an established road. I now have to look elsewhere for a hunting spot and just days before I am to hunt.
Sounds to me like DB is a tree hugger or something, I am not against trail closures but road closures I am.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:13 PM

db,

I am not one of the ATVers who abused any UNF land, its only done by just a few, its very easy for you to look at a few ATVers who wander off trails and blame everyone who owns, rides, looks at ATVs, dreams of having one, for the damage you have seen.

I don' t blame you for the toilet paper I have found many times walking into the Blue wilderness area, nor for that matter anyone who dosn' t own an ATV do I blame for leaving TP around, that would be goofy, just as you blame all ATVers for damage you have come across. I will debate you in any open forum, anytime you wish and I bet you will get that chance at the Lakewood office very soon. Will you use the db name or do you have a first name?

The forest service has done a great job in many area' s, except this one on road closures, that is a total failure, as most would agree..see you at the hearing

Dr. Mike
Old 10-06-2003, 02:49 PM

Big Bear Todd - I do not think that 338 is saying that they closed Owl Creek Pass. I think he is saying that they closed a logging road off of Owl Creek Pass Road. And I would be willing to place a small wager that the road closures don' t get reversed. I think that would just end up making a different (and equally adamant) group of people angry. No win for the FS - so they just do what their mission requires, e.g. protect the resource. And that is as it should be. I' ve never been called a tree hugger before - I kind of like it though I can' t wait to tell my wife that she married a greenee - and all of this time she though I was a nuckle dragging carnivore.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:47 PM

db,

I will bet you, what' s the bet, a nice juicy steak at Trail Dust? You take BgbearTodd and myself out to eat, and if I loose, you choose the place, and not the Fort...lol

Dr. Mike
Old 10-06-2003, 05:57 PM

DB well I kinda figured that you were a knuckle dragging ape Just kidding, do you ride in the zodiaks when the Eskimos are whale hunting also?
Any way, I do know the road that is closed as I was just there scouting and was unable to get to my normal hunting area. It is a road and not a trail!!
The FS has done this in the past to areas and have made it impossible for anyone with a disability to gain access to these areas. I guess they could get handicapped stickers for us!!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:59 PM

one more question DB

do you work for the usfs???? you defend them like you do??????
Old 10-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbearhuntertodd

Sounds to me like DB is a tree hugger or something, I am not against trail closures but road closures I am.
That one would have got my blood boiling!!!!!![:-]
You and 338 are on the right road there,I just hope you have MANY people of like mind there with you At this meeting.I' d come but it' s just a little too far!
As far as [&:]fringe groups[&:] and what they think or do-they ARE the ones who WILL be calling the shots if sensible people don' t stop [&:]them in thier tracks[>:] before they build thier momentum[X(] Got get ' em Tom and Mike!!!!!!!(and bring friends!!-[>:]They[&:] WILL!!)
One more comment on " fringe groups" .What do you think we are to most of Americans that that are so far removed from thier food source that the thought of killing an animal (Bambi [][]no less!!!) For food would appall them?????????? Tell you what guys; Don' t EVER let OUR hunting rights go to a vote of the public, because if you haven' t noticed-we' re outnumbered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........By Greenie, [>:]leaf[X(] licking liberal[&:] fringe groups like the sierra club and thier terrorist allies and the people who they CAN influence with thier greenie propaganda that sounds pretty good to the average[:' (] UNINFORMED MASSES[:' (] in this country. Does anybody feel the water getting warmer yet??????????????????????????[]
Old 10-06-2003, 10:02 PM
usa
Fork Horn

AMEN SUMMITDAWG, I don' t own an atv, but live in Calimexico(oop' s fornia) where the non and anti-hunter' s make ALL of our outdoor decision' s, Also where I used to hunt near Pagosa Spring' s Colorado forest service traded acreage with a local ranger and didn' t think to save access where hunters had been going in for 20yrs, when questioned by me, that there map clearly showed the passage as FS land, they said that the map was just a general aid and was not specific and they didn' t have the time or money to have the area surveyed, then a guide friend of mine told me about a good spot north of steamboat spring' s, when I drove1200 mile' s to check it out it was posted by a local rancher/outfitter, I went to USFS and asked if that area was indeed public land,after checking on the map she said absolutely ! So I said the area is all posted by xxx and could you look into the situation,she replied very gruffly, we don' t have time or resources to check ever piece of property, to which I replied very nicely , this is a specific area that you said you knew quite well and all I' m asking is for usfs to call the rancher/outfitter and ask him to remove the illegal posted sign' s, to which she replied,Why don' t you just use the marked trail about a mile down the road like everyone else, NEXT!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:56 AM

with all that I am seeing and hearing around lately sounds to me like we (here in COLO) have a serious problem with the USFS, maybe its time to get with our congressmen and see if we can' t get a Congressional hearing in regards to all of this. Seems like there is no set ways that they have to notify everyone of sales or closures and it sure seems like this is causing both physical and financial hardships for people. I know that I was not happy when I drove 6hrs to find the road to my hunting spot closed. can you imagine what it would be like driving 1200 miles like usa said. sounds like someone needs to answer for all of this?? NOW who would that be?????

Quick Reply: Colorado hunters unit #65 and ATVs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.