HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Colorado coyote (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/384630-colorado-coyote.html)

Buckshot870 08-31-2013 07:01 PM

Colorado coyote

Hey guys new to the forum and new to Colorado
I've been coyote hunting about 5 times but only came home with one dog
I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction (no specific spot if you don't want to give one away) to hunt some coyote
I live in the springs but I am willing to drive anywhere from 1 - 3 hours to do what I love to do
Thank you in advance boys

Howler 09-02-2013 12:32 PM

go east young man, that's where the most coyotes are in Colo. Mostly private ground, but don't be afraid to knock on a door for permission. More coyotes on the eastern plains of Colo., then any where else in the state.
Just be aware that we're coming into big game season, with archery season already started. Getting access with big game season going on can be a little tough, but about Jan., when everyone else is done hunting, that's when it's time to get out there, knock on some doors, and get to callin'.

Muley Hunter 09-02-2013 02:02 PM

Also, make sure you know the laws about what caliber you can use during big game seasons when hunting coyotes.

Howler 09-03-2013 09:48 AM

As long as he is ONLY hunting coyotes and not even holding a big game license, there is no worry about caliber restrictions, even during big game season. Now, if he is holding a big game tag and there is a big game season going on at the time, then he would need to pay attention to the caliber restrictions then.

Had a landowner accuses my buddy and I of deer hunting, while we were only calling coyotes just two winters ago. This landowner threatened to call the game warden because we didn't have orange on and deer season was open. I told him to call the game warder real quick like because not only did we not have orange on, but neither of us held a deer tag, I was carrying an AR holding way more than 5 rds., plus my AR was in .204 cal., plus we had an electronic call. Long story short, he never called the warden because I actually think I convinced him that we were actually only hunting coyotes. He also wanted to accuse us of trespassing, but we couldn't get him to call the landowner that we were on either. I think he really just wanted to yell at someone that morning, and we were just across the fence of his property, so we got the cussin'

c-rad 09-03-2013 10:21 AM

The laws are different depending on what side of I25 you are.

It is illegal to hunt game
birds, small-game mammals
or furbearers with a centerfire
rifle larger than .23 caliber
in regular rifle deer and elk
seasons west of I-25, unless
you have an unfilled deer or
elk license for the season you
are hunting. A small-game
license is required.

Muley Hunter 09-04-2013 07:05 AM

Yes, I forgot about the I-25 part of it, because i'm west of I-25, and it applies to me.

Dog gone it 01-23-2018 06:44 PM

You broke the law

If you were using an electric call you were breaking the law. The use of any electric or recorded call is illegal in Colorado.

Originally Posted by Howler (Post 4077735)
As long as he is ONLY hunting coyotes and not even holding a big game license, there is no worry about caliber restrictions, even during big game season. Now, if he is holding a big game tag and there is a big game season going on at the time, then he would need to pay attention to the caliber restrictions then.

Had a landowner accuses my buddy and I of deer hunting, while we were only calling coyotes just two winters ago. This landowner threatened to call the game warden because we didn't have orange on and deer season was open. I told him to call the game warder real quick like because not only did we not have orange on, but neither of us held a deer tag, I was carrying an AR holding way more than 5 rds., plus my AR was in .204 cal., plus we had an electronic call. Long story short, he never called the warden because I actually think I convinced him that we were actually only hunting coyotes. He also wanted to accuse us of trespassing, but we couldn't get him to call the landowner that we were on either. I think he really just wanted to yell at someone that morning, and we were just across the fence of his property, so we got the cussin'

Blackelk 02-08-2018 03:31 AM

1.The use of toxicants, drugs, explosives, stupefying
substances or leghold traps, instant kill body-gripping
design traps or snares to hunt, kill, capture,
injure or harass wildlife are illegal, except with
permits issued by CPW or the Colorado Department
of Agriculture.
2. Use of electronic calls is not allowed to hunt small
game. (Electronic calls are legal to hunt furbearers.)

3. Use of any artificial light as an aid in hunting
wildlife, except as in Legal Small-Game Hunting
Methods (above) is not allowed.
4. Use of bait to hunt small-game mammals, game
birds and migratory birds is not allowed.
5. Use of visual lures, fresh meat baits, fish oil and
anise oil lures to attract felids in lynx recovery
areas or where lynx are found is not allowed.
6. Except when legally placed on private property by
permit, it is illegal to set traps or snares within 50
feet of either side of the travelled part of state or
federal highways or county roads.
7.It is illegal to destroy or damage beaver or muskrat
houses, dens or dams, except to maintain water
flow or prevent property damage.
8.It is illegal to promote, conduct, offer to conduct
or participate in a competitive event that involves
killing small game or furbearers for which there
is no bag and possession limit (including coyotes
and prairie dogs). Contests are allowed if no more
than 5 of each species are killed by each participant
during the event. Contests of marked or
tagged small game and game birds for money or
valuable prizes also are illegal. Tokens of recognition
without significant monetary value are not
considered valuable prizes. This does not apply to
wildlife parks and field trials licensed by CPW.

Fatbow from CO 02-15-2018 03:05 PM

The Flattops area is loaded with yotes, look at the Yampa area and if that's someplace you are willing to go I can narrow it down a bit.

chrislewellen 03-14-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fatbow from CO (Post 4328441)
The Flattops area is loaded with yotes, look at the Yampa area and if that's someplace you are willing to go I can narrow it down a bit.

can you narrow it down for me in the yampa area please?