Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
New CO hunter,  need a buddy, are a buddy. >

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Spike

If you pick up a 2013 Big Game Hunting Brochure (at walmart or other hunting stores) there is a map on page 32 with all the valid over the counter bull tag areas. These do change year to year occasionally, but its a good place to start for next year. I am sure the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website has a map of the areas as well.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Spike

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...TCRifleElk.pdf

heres a link to the bull over the counter rifle areas
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Spike

Well I did the crazy thing,I have purchased a lic for second rifle OTC bull. I hope I can actually get one. I will be taking my son and only will have the weekends for hunting. Any one that wants to show us the ropes and wants to help a tenderfoot out on how to go Bout this it would be greatly appreciated. The best place to go public land near Colorado springs that will give us a good chance to bag a bull. Thanks again guys. I have no idea what I am doing and just like the military...I just don't know what I need to ask. D
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

What unit did you get a tag for?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Spike

over the counter Bull wide open..
If it has a Horn, its old enough, and its in the open GMU. I get to shoot it, process it and eat it.
oct 19th-27th.. so anything goes on the map.

EM000U2R thanks

Last edited by bobsspike; 08-09-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Spike

Way to jump in head first! There are some things to keep in mind going in. First off, the entire state average success rate is less than 25% on all elk, and I would imagine bull success rates are even lower. So that means that if you kill an elk once every four years you are doing good, so don't put too much pressure into killing an elk the first time out, and don't get discouraged. Of course there are guys who kill and elk (or two) every year which raises that average for the guys who go 8 years between elk. When I started hunting I was very fortunate to kill an elk about every year for the first 7 years, but now I am on a long drought, I think 7 years or more, including rifle and archery hunting. But I keep going back, because nothing compares to being in the woods chasing the elusive wapiti.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Spike

Secondly, with only weekends available I am assuming you will be staying close to the springs, which further lowers your chances of success as you will see a lot of hunting pressure, and especially on Rampart Range there will be a lot of other miscellaneous outdoor activities (OHV, target shooting, camping, etc.). But, that doesn't mean to call it quits before it begins! Try looking north west of divide in the Signal Butte area, between the phantom creek roads. Also worth a look would be up between Lake George and 11-mile resevoir, there's a state trust land, I will try to find the name, that I have seen elk on in the summer and last year I had a bull bugling during archery season down below me, but alas he was on private property.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Spike

Third, I would be glad to help in any way I can, unfortunately I will be over on the west side of the state in Unit 61 helping my dad hunt for a trophy bull. But anything else I can help with shoot me a message!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I never hunted Rampart 2nd or third rifle. So I can't tell what you will run into. I usually hunt muzzleloader for elk there and do well. Rampart holds elk they are just hard to hunt. The hayman burn area will be hunted hard. I was up there 3rd rifle last year and saw a lot of hunters. Just remember there are anlter restictions up there so just don't go shoot any bull.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Spike

Where would you suggest? that would be one to 2 hours away from the springs..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.