Collared dove hunting

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Collared dove hunting

Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 AM
jdk
Spike

Default Collared dove hunting

Hey Howdy,
Anyone out there actively engaging in collared dove hunting?

There sure are a ton in north-central CO, but it's not proving that easy to find concentrations of them on public land. I've harvested a few while hunting other critters and they are just as tasty as mourning doves (and bigger!).

I was just curious what others are experiencing. They seem to prefer town and are ubiquitous at farms, ranches, and feedlots, but seem to stay close to structures like the pigeons do.

Anyway, with unlimited season and unlimited bag limit, I sure would like to get on some of these birds and am real interested to hear from others who have mapped on to these suckers!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

I tried to pop one with a pellet gun in Montana a couple weeks ago, but missed it. I was curious to see how they taste. Three years ago MT FWP thought I was a little looney when I told them I was seeing a few Eurasian collared doves around. Now they're all over southern and central Montana. No limit and no closed season. Next time I head south to MT I'll have to break out the scatter gun and get a few. They're definitely bigger and slower than mourning doves so I might actually be able to hit one.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/specialFeatures/talesAndTrails/
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

We get a few when we go for mourning doves. They are much bigger and taste great. I wish I had something to offer. They love farm houses. Try to knock on a few doors?