Colorado Unit 481 Question. >

Colorado Unit 481 Question.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Unit 481 Question.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Spike

Default Colorado Unit 481 Question.

Hi, I was woindering if anyone could possibly help me out with a couple questions I have. My friend and I are looking to go on DIY pack in elk hunt in Colorado. We don't have any prefernce points so I know we are very limited in the units that we can draw a tag for. We are looking at unit 481 do to the fact it is mostly wilderness area. We like the fact that there shouldn't be any ATV traffic. Does anyone have any advice on this unit or could anyone point us in the direction of a different unit. We aren't looking for trophy bulls, just a unit where we can get away for the crowds and have a decent opportunity to kill an elk. Any help would be much appriciated. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SDfanatic
Hi, I was woindering if anyone could possibly help me out with a couple questions I have. My friend and I are looking to go on DIY pack in elk hunt in Colorado. We don't have any prefernce points so I know we are very limited in the units that we can draw a tag for. We are looking at unit 481 do to the fact it is mostly wilderness area. We like the fact that there shouldn't be any ATV traffic. Does anyone have any advice on this unit or could anyone point us in the direction of a different unit. We aren't looking for trophy bulls, just a unit where we can get away for the crowds and have a decent opportunity to kill an elk. Any help would be much appriciated. Thanks.
I live in unit 481 and since your not looking for trophies you will probably enjoy success on your hunt. There are good numbers of elk throughout the unit, but be prepared for some rugged hiking because you wont find them down low and hunting pressure seems to be on the rise in recent years. The weather usually does not factor in too much, but I usually hunt second season. We usually get our first decent snow about second season but mostly it doesnt add up to much even in the higher bowls and meadows. The Colorado trail runs right through the unit if your looking for an easier hike, you can get to alot of good areas from it, but expect to see more people. Just like anywhere else, the trophies are there, but you'll have to go through hell to find em . Good Luck, if you need any more info on the unit I will be glad to help ya out.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also live in 481. It's pretty rugged to hunt in the early seasons. I hunt the muzzleloader season, so i'm up at treeline in the timber. Weather is usually warm to hot, but not bad at that altitude. Especially, in the timber.

The rifle seasons will be way more crowded, and the elk will be down lower usually. I'm lucky to see one hunter, but I scout 250 days a year to find out of the way areas.

What season are you planning on hunting? How many points do you have? Bull or cow?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Spike

I don't want to highjack SDFanatic's thread, but I thought since we were both looking for similar information, it might be best to post here.

I am also hoping to find some tips for CO 481. I have lived in Buena Vista for about 12 years now (Since I was 12) and have never hunted before. I just recently completed my hunters ed class. I want to hunt for a few reasons, mainly, I love being outside! Why not combing hunting and hiking since I already to the hiking. Also, I love challenges and elk meat. So here I am.

I turned in for a 2nd season cow tag. If the same trend holds as last year, I should have a 100% chance of getting it. To prepare, I have tried talking to people that hunt, but no one I know hunts here. They always travel to hunt. I have read the guide on the DOW web site, looked at the concentration maps on the DOW web site and spent a ton of time on Google Maps. With all that said, I still feel like I am kinda shooting blindly here.

I was going to do a bunch of scouting/hiking of places I have found on the map and attempt to have 2 or 3 high and low locations to hunt this coming fall so I am not surprised if we get an early snow.

Elway, I obviously don't want to steal any honeyholes, but if I shot you a PM with a few locations that I thought I might try, would you be willing to give me your thoughts?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Spike

Jason A, yeah you can PM me. Look forward to helping you out.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Spike

Would you mind if I PMed you as well, Muley Hunter? It seems like you have had allot of years in Chaffee County hunting.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sure. Glad to help.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default A year later....

Sorry to jump into this posting a year later but I used Google and came and this came up so appreciate any help you can give me.

I have hunted the area before but it has been over 5 years and the last time I hunted there they just closed off some of the vehicle access to the Colorado Trail by "Radio Tower Mountain". Not that we drive any but it did change the pressure since we primarily hunt on property further toward the river.

So my questions are how has the hunting been for the last few years and what about hunting on the north side of BV in area 481? I Just looking to get out and have a chance at getting some meat....not worried about getting a trophy.

Thank in advance for your help.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JasonA
I don't want to highjack SDFanatic's thread, but I thought since we were both looking for similar information, it might be best to post here.

I am also hoping to find some tips for CO 481. I have lived in Buena Vista for about 12 years now (Since I was 12) and have never hunted before. I just recently completed my hunters ed class. I want to hunt for a few reasons, mainly, I love being outside! Why not combing hunting and hiking since I already to the hiking. Also, I love challenges and elk meat. So here I am.

I turned in for a 2nd season cow tag. If the same trend holds as last year, I should have a 100% chance of getting it. To prepare, I have tried talking to people that hunt, but no one I know hunts here. They always travel to hunt. I have read the guide on the DOW web site, looked at the concentration maps on the DOW web site and spent a ton of time on Google Maps. With all that said, I still feel like I am kinda shooting blindly here.

I was going to do a bunch of scouting/hiking of places I have found on the map and attempt to have 2 or 3 high and low locations to hunt this coming fall so I am not surprised if we get an early snow.

Elway, I obviously don't want to steal any honeyholes, but if I shot you a PM with a few locations that I thought I might try, would you be willing to give me your thoughts?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Just curious, did you have any luck this fall? How was your hunt?