San Luis Valley Colorado Big Game Challenge Shoot >

San Luis Valley Colorado Big Game Challenge Shoot

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

San Luis Valley Colorado Big Game Challenge Shoot

Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default San Luis Valley Colorado Big Game Challenge Shoot

Come test your hunting shot skills at the Big Game Challenge.

When: April 21st, 2013
Where: Rio Grande Sportsman Club, Rifle Range Rd. Del Norte, Co 81132
Time: Shoot Starts at 10:00 AM
Cost: $15.00 Entry Fee

Rules: Centerfire Rifle Cartridge 6mm or larger.
Not a bench shoot. Shooters may use bi pods, shooting sticks, backpack, or any other natural means to shoot off of aka rolled up coat or use the canopy post simulating a tree. Prone, Kneeling, Standing or Sitting all legal positions.

How it works. Shooters will have 30 seconds from buzzer to make one shot at a life size animal target starting at 100 yards if shooter takes longer than 30 seconds that target is considered a non hit. Object is to try and get closet to center of heart which is marked on the back side of the target. There will be 5 targets total 100,200,300,400 and 550 yards. Starting at 100 yards and ending at the 550 yard target.

Each target will have one winner for closet to the heart. They will receive a cap saying champion of what animal and range logo.

There will be three over all combined for score winners. They will receive Plaques 1st,2nd and 3rd. Scores are based off of total 5 shot score distance from center of heart.

Email: [email protected] if interested.
Checkout more events in San Luis Valley at: www.sanluisvalleyusa.com

Last edited by Blackelk; 02-12-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a fun shoot, but I'll bet some guys show up with target rifles with target scopes. It could end looking like an F class shoot. There is always someone that will do whatever it takes for "bragging rights." Shoots like this make more sense if they put restrictions on the equipment.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

There are some nice target rifles that show up at this shoot. I truly believe it's the man behind the gun and the elements. I shoot Ruger No.1's no modifications and a standard hunting style scope on all of them. I've managed to place in the top three spots six times in the past seven years. That's against rifle set ups that cost 4 to 6 times the amount mine do. 4 out of 7 years 1st place was won by standard factory rifle setups and the number of shooters have been up to 35 participants. This is the 8th year of the shoot. This is a great shoot for hunters and target shooters alike. Consistency is the key to winning the over all champion. The 100 and 200 yard targets are new to this shoot this year. Spread the playing field so to speak.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do most of the guys shoot prone with a bipod?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like fun. It would be nice to go home for this shoot.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

A lot use bi pods. Some just use a back pack. I have changed from a bi pod to my heavy oil skin coat over the rail road tie at the end of the firing line. We all end up sharing a shooting pad that someone has brought and shoot out of the same spot for the most part. Correction on myself the very first fundraising shoot was a silhouette shoot not a big game shoot. So the big game challenge has only ran 6 years. I think I'm getting CRS.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll bet that a shoot like this that was held in October would get a big turnout from visiting hunters (like me). I am normally in the Southfork/Creede area for two or three weeks at that time of the year.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Dang that sounds like fun. Even for a ol shaky guy. My wife would prob win as shes rock steady and can shoot 550. I gotta think this over.