Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Heading West for a mule deer hunt next year >

Heading West for a mule deer hunt next year

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Heading West for a mule deer hunt next year

Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Spike

Default Heading West for a mule deer hunt next year

Next year we are heading out West for a mule deer hunt on public land. Here's some info: My uncle and cousin have already hunted out there and I'm going out there with them and two other cousins all three of us are new to this.

My questions are this;

1.) I use a 270 for whitetail back here in PA, is this gun sufficient enough for a mule deer kill? I just got it two years ago and I'm 2 for 2 on the buck kill range but it doesn't make that killing hole like my 30-06 used to.
2.) We are going to hunt public ground, what can I expect about the quality of land and what if any are problems to deal with while hunting public land?
3.) Any other information I'll need while out there? I am leaving it up to my cousin and uncle to let us know how the licenses work and when to get them.

Thanks, I can't wait to get out there. Should be a fun cross country trip even if I don't tag out.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

270 is nice for mulies. If you are going CO, just remember that deer are 100% drawing!
Dan
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

You did not post what state you are hunting, so I don't know how long the season is, but I have found in states with longer seasons, the deer are spookier later, but you have more BLM to yourself. The weather can be nastier, too. Your 270 is fine.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

The .270 will be fine for mulies out west. Your other questions are way to broad to answer even if I knew what state you were talking about. By 100% drawing in the other post he meant that all deer are in a drawing, not that it's 100% that you will get a tag---far from it and most other states out there without having PPs (preference points)

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

CO is 100% drawing and depending on what area can take anywhere from 2 years to 15 to draw a tag. Private land access cuts this in half but still can take a few points.
Applications have to be submitted prior to the first Tuesday in April.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Spike

Default Public Hunting

I've used a 270 to shoot an elk with and have never used anything else for Mule deer. Public hunting opening day expect to see a lot of people out hunting with you. If you go after that in the season, most of the deer will have been pushed off the public land. If you see something you might want take it, you probably won't get another chance. You might even want to start thinking about where you are staying depending on where you are going. Tags are always hard to come by. Not sure what you are doing, but Montana you can go in as a group, that way you all get or nobody gets. Not sure if it increases you odds, but then you don't have the problem of only two getting tags. If you are looking at Montana there are some other options you can do, but if not they wouldn't do you any good. Send me an email if you need more info.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can expect crowds. Not so much from other deer hunters, but from all the elk hunters.

The .270 is more than enough gun. It's also fine for elk. Which is a much easier tag to get in Colorado than deer tags.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can apply as a party in Wyoming just like in Montana. However, it doesn't increase your chance of drawing a tag in either state, as all in the party are considered one person with one chance to draw. It's just a good way to insure that either all get a tag or nobody, rather than applying individually and some maybe drawing and some not.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Spike

Sorry, we will be in CO. And thanks for some of the advice.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 AM
Spike

I use a 270 Weatherby for Mule deer and I have shot Mule deer with a .270 win.
since you are traveling and obviously spending some money on the trip I would strongly recommend using a premium bullet such as a nosler Partition,Accubond or Barnes TSX. The problem with .270s is they get scootin along pretty good and with standard cup and core bullets they fragment so badly. especially at close range (high velocity) I have used nosler B-tips and the entrance hole was much larger than the exit when hitting a rib. The deer did die instantly however I would prefer a bullet to hold together better and cause less meat damage.
last year I shot a nice 4 point (east coast 10 pointer) with a 300 wsm 150 gr. accubonds.left the barrel at close to 3250 fps and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of meat damage on the offside shoulder. the shot was around 80 yards.
Good luck with your Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.