Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Hello? Looking to learn... >

Hello? Looking to learn...

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hello? Looking to learn...

Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

No I don't. Do you have any ideas where to go? I have only deer hunted WY so far, so I'm still looking around.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
First congratulations on a first GREAT season! You've accomplished a lot! I am not from teh west, but have some elk experience, so I will take a shot at your questions.....

Of course you can, however, an elk is MUCH larger than a deer, hence much more work after you get one, having packing help is priceless! Plus with elk, you can call them, and again, a partner is helpfull here.

I'll leave this to the more ballistically knowledgable, but my guess is no, not really enough power.

Part of the felt recoil is how the gun fits you. For example, I have two .30-06's, one a semi-automatic, kicks pretty good. Another, a bolt, but with a nice recoil pad that fits me nicely, has hardly any felt recoil. On paper the semi should kick less, but it doesn't. a .308 and .30-06 should be about the same kick on equivalent guns.

Many elk have fallen to a .270, and it will work nicely.

Not sure of techniques you used for deer, but elk are usually "go find them" hunts. You can post up on wallows and trails, but in general they are go hike until you find them animals. Packing, yes, you will need to carry it out, but if 600 lbs is the animal that's not what you pack out. However, you will have to pack out in several trips (here's where friends help)
I could not of put it better myself I have killed all my Elk with a .270 and it does well if the shot is well placed. Elk hunting is the most physical challenging hunt I have guided/hunted. I prefer hunting alone but after killing a 500+ pound elk it could take days to pack it out yourself without a horse, I would have some friends on call that could come to your rescue after you bring down an elk. I am warning you though, Elk hunting is extremely addicting! Good Luck! Let me know If you ever need help or anything, I am an elk guide in Northern Utah as well as in Idaho, I would be happy to help, elk hunting is my passion.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Elk are not hard to kill. I've been doing it since the 50's with a 30-30, and lately with a sidelock muzzleloader, and a round ball. Never needed a scope.

You need to learn the limitations of the gun, and proper shot placement.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Your 270 will be perfect for Elk. Shot placement is
always the key, so plenty of time on the range will
help. Getting an Elk out alone is a real challenge,
if you can possibly find someone to hunt with or
at least will be willing to help once you have an Elk
on the ground and need to quarter it up that will be
beyond value. They make a 2 wheeled game mover
that works really well, just make sure you get the tires
that are solid ( do not take air ). Cabelas sells them.
The point about hunting uphill for Elk so your bringing it
out downhill is a good one. Good Luck!