Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
New to Colorado, New to Hunting >

New to Colorado, New to Hunting

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New to Colorado, New to Hunting

Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Spike

Default New to Colorado, New to Hunting

I'm originally from Puerto Rico and spent 18 years living in DC. I beat feet from the East coast last year to live a bit closer to the real world. I never shot a gun until I was in my twenties-that was only for gangster where I came from as there's nothing to hunt in Puerto Rico or DC-and now in my early thirties I'm itching to get out and try my hand at hunting.

I'm hoping there are some folks in my area who wouldn't mind me tagging along for a while until I get my legs under me in the field. I live in the foothills in Jeffco and would truly appreciate a bit of help, guidance, and good old fashioned company.

Drop me a line if you wouldn't mind helping teach me the ropes and letting me tag along.

-Alex
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

You're a little too far away for me to help you, BUT I recommend finding an NRA certified rifle course in your area (you can search the NRA web site for a list of local courses). Once you learn to shoot, then take a hunter safety class. It's required to buy a license.

The NRA course teaches you to shoot but not to hunt. The hunter safety course doesn't teach you how to shoot. You need both.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Spike

Thanks Mac. I do shoot pretty well already and I've gotten my hunter's safety course knocked out as well. I'll check out the NRA to see if there are some good ranges!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Hey welcome to the mile high state. You're in a scenic area of the front range, back away from the concrete jungle. I'm south in the pikes peak region, so I cant really name many ranges to go to in your neck of the woods. What kind of guns do you have, or have shot, thus far, if I may ask? What kind of hunting are you looking to do?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Spike

Thanks! It is pretty cool up here, and yes, just far enough from the concrete jungle. There's not much in the way of public ranges around here but I did find a good spot for shooting not too far away near Echo mountain.

I have a .22 and a 30.06. I've shot both fairly extensively and have also shot a black power rifle and a 20 gauge.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

If you check with the forest service, there are areas set aside as shooting ranges. Just be mindful of our drought here. They put a ban out for a while this summer for outdoor shooting in the woods. Are you looking to hunt goats, mule deer, elk, cat, bear or? The 22 is good to practice with, and the '06 is a good all around gun. You can hunt anything legal in this state with it. There's a section of the co-ar15 forum with places to shoot on it. I know theres a bunch of guys and gals up your way on there, so someone should have a place listed. Just google it, and you'll find it.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Spike

Thanks again Street. I'll check out the forum you mentioned.

Having never hunted before, I'm pretty open to anything that makes for good eating. I'd love to start out with Deer, Elk or Antelope and move on from there to goats and sheep.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go hang out in the local gun shops. You might find a hunter who's willing to help you out.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Hey bud, you may want to consider heading down to Tx or somthing and go do a Pig hunt; just to get some experience under your belt. Plus you can sit there and watch a guide and have him show you how to gut, skin, quarter up. This will probly help you out a whole lot in the finding a Partner to go hunting with because he will not be needing to go step by step with you through EVERYTHING cause you already understand and have experince taking crae of it yourself. Also get involved SCI, NRA, RMEF, and most importantly have fun.

Good Luck Niccum