Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
NV Sage Grouse Hunt ??? >

NV Sage Grouse Hunt ???

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

NV Sage Grouse Hunt ???

Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Spike

Default NV Sage Grouse Hunt ???

Hey I made a post similar to this in the Upland section.

Im going Sage Grouse hunting this weekend as its the only time I can go. Nevada is Open from the 25th till ...?? but only 10 days or so.

I know nothing about these birds and think I have seen a flock (Is that what its called with Grouse) or two out fishing. I know they are big so that leads me to the first question

1) What choke do you recomend, What shot do you recomend.

Also I have been told they are hard to see and just to walk arround kicking brush until you flush one up. (Can you talk durring the hunt like a quial hunt? or must you be silent like Turkey)

My other question is im told you must field clean the bird IMMEDIATLY do not let it sit at all. Does anyone have a link on the best way to do it as our limit here is only 2 per day 4 in poss. so I really dont want to ruin a bird "Learning".

Also it leads me to does anyone have any good recipees for this bird. I have a few im deciding on once I got one cleaned and in the freezer.

Please any help would be appriciated since we are leaving early Sunday (September 30th) to attempt a hunt on our Nevada Sage Grouse.

Thanks,
Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Spike

Does no one hunt sage grouse? I cant find much online either....
Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Spike

ok from what i gather incase someone else has this question is use a full choke or a imp cyl . with number 6 shot in 2 3/4 shells. Doesnt matter how much noise you make althogh reccomended of being quiet so you can hear the birds....

If im wrong someone please correct me in the next day as sunday we are headed out.