HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Eastern Washington Elk Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/35329-eastern-washington-elk-hunting.html)

Washington Hunter 08-15-2003 05:51 PM

Eastern Washington Elk Hunting

Where is the best place to find an Elk in Eastern Washington? I' m 15, I hae been hunting Elk here at Mica Peak (Just outside of Spokane) and am sick and tired of being run out by guys on Four-Wheelers (No offense if that is any of you, never know, we might have met ;) ). I have been unsuccesfully hunting Elk on Private Land for the past 4 years. It appears that all the Elk on the property Migrate over to Turn Bull Wildlife Refuge by the time Modern Firearm Elk opens here. I am looking to get an Elk (Doesnt have to have a big Rack, Im only looking for meat). I was just wondering where some of you have had your best luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

-Dan-

yajsab 08-15-2003 08:08 PM

RE: Eastern Washington Elk Hunting

If you hunt during rifle season, you' re limited to spike only. It' s tough to see a spike even in an area full of elk. Also, during that time, most of the elk had separated. I hunt elk during rifle for two years and gave up. I now hunt during archery season. I see more elks. [:-] Drive about two hours to the area around Ellensburg and do some scouting. I haven' t hunt that area, so I don' t know much about it. I hunt in the 352 area. This should give you a start. Good luck.

summit daWg 08-16-2003 11:22 AM

[:o] Actually yajsab Looks like he' s been hunting in an " any elk" area. The Northeast corner of the state is the only area east of the Cascade summit that is NOT restricted to " spike only" . Not as many animals though.
Wa. hunter-I see you' re 15 and are looking for better elk hunting. I' m not by any means an expert on NE WA Elk. Friends have spotted elk between Creston and 7 Bays Marina,crossing the Kettle R. north of Barstow. Ihave seen elk track in Kelly Hill GMU-But I wouldn' t want my life to depend on finding an elk in that area!
You Are 15. I assume you have comrades with drivers license and can do some driving? This will most likely be required.
If it was me I would try; 1-selkirk 2-49 north 3 Mt. Spokane if you want to stay as close to home as possible OR hook up with someone who knows the Blue Mtns., Colokum, or Yakima area- I' , Colokum myself.

Washington Hunter 08-16-2003 08:52 PM

The Blue Mountains, as in the Tucanon/Dayton area?

summit daWg 08-17-2003 01:40 AM

[:-] That would be the area -but check,it could be spike only.[:o]

yajsab 08-18-2003 12:43 PM

Actually yajsab Looks like he' s been hunting in an " any elk" area

Sorry. I didn' t check the reg.:)

I' ve heard good hunting in the Blue Mt. as well.

summit daWg 08-18-2003 11:41 PM

Thats kool yajsab, I' ve made a few mistakes reading the Regs. a time or three, but the good thing for both of us is that we didn' t realize it standing over a dead animal[:-] I have met people who weren' t so smart-we' ve still got a month to read and need a law degree to understand it all!

Power 08-19-2003 11:16 PM

I can' t help with that area but I can give you some tips. If there is an area where " all the Elk are" just hunt along the edges, especially at dawn and dusk, to get the one sneaking in or out. That' s how they do it in the Colockum where I hunt. Everybody surrounds the reserve on top and gets them coming or going.

I usually hunt lower with the family where the elk are hiding from the hordes. It took me 8 seasons to finally get my FIRST Elk but I finally did.

Just keep trying. Might get lucky your first year or might take you 20 years. That' s why they call it huntin' and not shootin' !

WANWTF 08-21-2003 11:31 AM

The Blues, in the tucannon/Dayton area is spike only - not only is it tough to find an elk, but to actually see a spike that is shootable is darn near impossible. I' ve hunted that area (a mile or two up the panjab trail) for 5 years and haven' t seen much (a couple of real nice BIG ol' racked bulls and a cow here and there) - Going to start on the west side this year.

summit daWg 08-21-2003 09:01 PM

Hey WANWTF, didn' t spike only begin over there? (in WA>)