Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Public land mule deer hunting >

Public land mule deer hunting

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Public land mule deer hunting

Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Spike

Default Public land mule deer hunting

I have never been out west to hunt. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to go for mule deer on public land?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah??? Each state has multiple opportunities but different ways to obtain licenses. Look into that and narrow the state down and work from there.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah??? Each state has multiple opportunities but different ways to obtain licenses. Look into that and narrow the state down and work from there.
Thanks!
I'm trying to go as cheap as possible. I was hoping to find a state that I can get a tag over-the counter. I heard Utah has some quality bucks there
Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, you can come to western Nebraska. Tags over the counter fairly cheap and lots of public land out west. Check out Nebraska games and parks for info and Maps.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike VA Hunter
Thanks!
I'm trying to go as cheap as possible. I was hoping to find a state that I can get a tag over-the counter. I heard Utah has some quality bucks there
Colorado is Drawing only. Some units may have leftover tags, but usually not the quality units. Tag will run you $344.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nebraska will be the cheapest tags as well. When I lived there a few years ago they were $165 versus the $300-$400 for the surrounding states. Utah has some monster mule deer as well. I jumped a 30 to 33" wide buck along with another monster that was heavy and stickers all over last year in Wyoming as well. I think all states out here have them you just have to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

What are some of the areas in Nebraska where you would encounter both mulies and whitetails? Is there public land in those areas?

In general, what is the quantity and quality of animals seen on public land in NE?

Thanks for any info!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine was saying something about a restriction on Mule deer hunting in Nebraska so you may want to look into that. I am not sure if it is just the area where he lives or what. I have seen monster whitetail on public land in Nebraska. Not very many mule deer though I did see some here and there. This was around Lake McConaughy when it was down low. I hear the hunting is not very good now that it is back up to a high level. There used to be brush galore out there and now it is all under water. Up around Chadron I believe is where you find the most mule deer in the state.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Spike

I've hunted some in the NW part of Nebraska, public land there you will be hard pressed to find a big mulie buck, plus it gets hunted hard. Better hitting the mountains of CO,WY, ID, etc....
Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Spike

one of few places people over look is the state of new mexico,weve got reasonable hunts here so please check out new mexico and all its hunting opportunities

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.